Is it possible to buy VPU fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to buy VPU fans?

Now finally after much effort through the patches the game works fine except my video card begins to overheat fairly quickly during the game. I have an ATI Radeon 9550 and I have a box fan currently in front of the computer which works but is fairly unweildy so I was wondering if its possible to buy an attachable fan similiar to a CPU fan for my VPU to keep it cool and if so where can I find one?
    As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit
    atrocities.
    - Voltaire

You mean GPU.

Probably not. These cards aren't build to a standard so I doubt you can find a third-party fan. I reckon you can change to a bigger case with more case fans to get a better airflow.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I think you can cool it, but maybe not with a bigger fan. Case modders often get different cooling stuff for them to fit their theme.

You may have better luck asking that on an overclocking forum though. Unless you get flamed for not reading the FAQ and/or not asking properly/in the right sub-forum. It's a risk on any forum though...

Comment

Yes, you can get an add-on cooler for your card.

is probably the one you would want....different models for different cards.

It exhausts the hot air directly out of the case.

Do a Google or check ebay to find it....less than $20 I believe.

Comment

:ahem:

Might I introduce you to the king of VGA colers? It's the Zalman VF700-Cu LED

look for it at your local PC retailer or small OEM

Comment

Thanks, I stand corrected.

However, make sure this fan is compatible with your card.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              Thanks, I stand corrected.

However, make sure this fan is compatible with your card.
              Zalman lists which cards it's coolers are compatibale with on it's website, but I pretty sure the Radeon 9550 is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruiseden
                Yes, you can get an add-on cooler for your card.

is probably the one you would want....different models for different cards.

It exhausts the hot air directly out of the case.

Do a Google or check ebay to find it....less than $20 I believe.
                My old graph card fan died, so I just got this cooler for my Conect 3D Ati Radeon 9600XT - the only problem was that although the website lists 9600XT as compatible, the power connector was incompatible with the socket on my card.

Had to have my computer up and running the night I got the cooler, and I couldn't find any place that could offer any solution to the problem, so I had to resort to a little more drastic means; I cut the power cord, stripped the wires, cut the cord from my old broken fan (with the right kind of connector on it's end), and attached the other connector to the new cooler with the help of some electric tape.

Works fine now, but the warranty is of course lost. I wrote about it to the manufacturer, but have yet to receive a reply.

Wasn't exactly a "plug and play" installation!

But now my card is very cool!

Happy with the quality of the product, but they really need to check their compatibility information; they are promising things they can't deliver, in that department.
                Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

The Zalman GPU coolers all use a standard MOLEX plug, so you'll never have trouble powering their coolers. This also means that the Zalman GPU coolers can't use the video cards' onboard fan controler, but that's really not a problem since Zalman gives you a 5v/12v switch with the cooler, letting you switch the cooler from silent to full-power mode with the flich of a switch.

However, in terms of pure cooling ability, it seems the Arctic Cooling GPU coolers outperform the Zalman GPU coolers. Arctic Cooling's prices are a little steep, though, and for what they charge you might as well just put a liquid-cooling system in.

Speaking of Liquid Cooling....
                  Check out the RESERATOR 1 Plus over at http://www.zalman.co.kr/
                  I can't directly link to the product page, but here's a pic of what it looks like.

Comment

yep he could probably buy a new Radeon X1800 for the price of Resorator though... keep it cheap, perhaps any 40mm fan with a normal power socket will do, put it on top and stick it with a sticky tape if you have to and this will be just fine for as long as you keep the card (that solution should cost below 10$)
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

The liquid cooling solution is realy only for the overclocking crowd. Everyone else should stick with the stock cooler or upgrade to a Zalman unit.

Or, you can go insane like the guys over at Tom's Hardware Labs did and seal your case air-tight, take out all the fans, and add eight gallons of cooking oil.

What, you think I'm joking? Look Here.

The cooking-oil method is very silent but also quite messy and rather labor intensive. It does, however, have the advantage of making your PC smell like french fries. (just kidding).

Comment

Me want a cooking oil computer too!

Though I'd imagine that it'd be quite a hassle upgrading that, once it's soaked...
                        Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

Yes, but if you get it hot enough you can cook french fries with it.

Comment

Working...
                          X