Stupid interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid interface

Just maybe, maybe, the interface should realize that if the enemy just declared war, moved 8 units next to my almost undefended city, and I reinforced with another unit, then perhaps I don't want to end my turn at this point, and perhaps want to move, say, other units over to help out this city. But god help you if the first unit that you moved was the last unit needing orders. Heck, you'd think this invasion would at least wake up the units in the city itself.
    This happens to me (usually in a more minor way) at least 2-3 times a game, but the alternative is to have to press enter after every turn. Or is that the setting most people use anyway for exactly that reason?

This wouldn't be nearly so annoying except that this is already loading from an autosave. The first time I played out this turn, I actually got so little feedback of the invasion that I missed it completely (*with* enemy movement turned on). It's almost as if the enemy lands the fleet while they're still considered "friends" (granted, friends that I don't have open borders with), declares war, and only THEN are they considered enemies whose moves are displayed. I did indeed get the "enemy spotted near [city]" message, but I dismissed that, since I'd already seen an enemy boat moving around (the same stack of boats that had already unloaded their troops, I assume). Once I saw that that stack consisted of only naval units and no invasion fleet, I dismissed it. Is there some obvious setting I'm missing here? I mean, of course I'll know to look for this sort of thing from now on, and strictly speaking I probably wasn't being as vigilant as I could have been but it's frustrating that the game itself doesn't take much initiative in these situations. Even waking the units wouldn't hurt.

Go into options and check the box for "Wait at end of turn", or whatever it is. I don't allow the game to end my turn for me; I force it to wait for my "End turn" order.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Ihhhk you play with auto end turn? are you a glutton for punishment. just press return, it aint that hard!!!!
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Re: Stupid interface

Originally posted by Ari
        Or is that the setting most people use anyway for exactly that reason?
        Guess that answers that question
        Strange, but it had never been such a huge issue in civ 3 or AC. Guess I'll switch over.

Comment

I just couldn't imagine not having the enter at end turn. Throwback to my civ2 days.

I simply would not buy a civ game without it. Might as well be playing a RTS.

Comment

On a similar note, I have had attacks of the "invisible" invasion force.

Currently at war with Bismark, when I got the message "Enemy sited near Gold City". Went straight to city to sort out, but could only see a destroyer/transport convoy off the coast, no invasion force could seen anyway on land nor in convoy. So I went to next turn.

Then the invasion force appears on land (not next to convoy either which did not move), pillages my gold mine and fortifys on a nearby hill.

I cannot attack what I cannot see
            I would have expected to see the invasion force on the beach the previous turn, and at least had an opportunity to attack.
            E8400 3GHZ, GA-X58-DS5, 4GB Ram, ATI 4890 1GB, Samsung 226BW, Windows 7 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Sexus R Cerinus
              On a similar note, I have had attacks of the "invisible" invasion force.

Currently at war with Bismark, when I got the message "Enemy sited near Gold City". Went straight to city to sort out, but could only see a destroyer/transport convoy off the coast, no invasion force could seen anyway on land nor in convoy. So I went to next turn.

Then the invasion force appears on land (not next to convoy either which did not move), pillages my gold mine and fortifys on a nearby hill.

I cannot attack what I cannot see
              I would have expected to see the invasion force on the beach the previous turn, and at least had an opportunity to attack.
              If you hover over the stack of ships you'd see the troops that haven't landed yet. You should be bombing and attacking the heck out of that stack if they actually couldn't land right away.

FYI that I'd bet the invasion force was probably gunships. They get 4 moves and ignore land obstacles. So they could unload, pillage two squares and fortify on a 3rd all in one turn. They are nasty buggers.

Comment

Ari, you could also use the 'sentry' option for at least some of the troops gaurding your cities. This will wake them up if an enemy approaches.

Comment

Ari, I'm with you on this one. Having to hit Enter at the end of every turn drives me insane. This game takes long enough as it is, and since i normally only use my mouse to play, having to hit enter or hit the infinetely small "End turn" button drives me up a wall. In Civ2 i disabled the "Wait at end of turn" function and played like that for years, which is probably why i can't deal with it now.

I have also run into a similar problem that you had. My usual response is to activate a unit in the middle of my civilization, usually a defender that I will specifically remember is the last active unit. Simply keep using "wait" until you're done making all of the your moves. It's more or less the same thing as having to hit enter to end your turn, and probably just as quick as changing the options menu, but it's the alternative I prefer

Comment

Enemy Movements

First, there's no way I want to press Enter more than a hundred times an evening. Even though I'm occasionally surprised when I give orders to someone and the turn ends, I'm willing to live with that minor pain.

= It would be nice if the UI told you this was your last action before the end of the turn.

= How about letting me remap this particlar key? The Space key is such a larger target, but the middle mouse button is even better! CIV IV is the only game in the past 3 or 4 years that hasn't let me remap, IIRC. How about letting me remap Up/Down/Left/Right to my joystick?

Since I'm ranting about pain, I'd *LOVE* it if I could pause the #)$*&# city production orders to look around once in awhile*. This is one of the most annoying things in the game. Coupled with the end of turn Enter disabled you can very quickly get in to problems and zip through several turns.

To answer the original question, yes, I witnessed that tonight. Invisible troops were landed (by a caravel!) during peacetime, he declared war, and my destroyers on overwatch didn't do anything about it. Then, I couldn't even find the enemy troops until they attacked. Strange.

Of course, Napolean and Montezuma have learned the dangers of declaring a religious war on me. Or rather, their tombstones did.

* Half the time I'm not even sure what city I'm looking at unless I can see what's around it (yeah, my brain works differently).

Comment

I can't imagine even considering letting the game end my turns for me!

I guess different things annoy different people, but I hadn't even considered that "having to" give an end of turn order could be annoying to someone.

I usually use the red end-of-turn button, since I'm using the mouse to play anyway. I don't know if it requires some special mouse-targetting-tallent, but the button isn't at all too small for me.

Maybe for those who find ending the turn manually an annoyance, the auto end-of-turn could be improved so that it would switch to manual end-of-turn whenever enemy troops were on your territory, as well as for the turn when war is declared against you.
                      Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

End of turn button on screen?!?! I've got the game manual and the 3rd party game guide. I've really gotta start reading the boring chapters!

Comment

Originally posted by Just_Matt
                          End of turn button on screen?!?! I've got the game manual and the 3rd party game guide. I've really gotta start reading the boring chapters!
                          It's also in the tutorial
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

FYI that the space bar will indeed end the turn as well. I usually just tap the enter key on the keypad with my thumb since my mouse is right next to my keyboard anyway.

And I couldn't even think of playing with out ending the turn myself. I can't count how many times I've spent time checking on all my cities, checking enemy positions, taking a look see at the tech tree, etc. I never understood why games like this actually had an option to not pause at the end of turn cause I couldn't believe anyone would play that way.

Comment

Originally posted by bonscott
                              And I couldn't even think of playing with out ending the turn myself. I can't count how many times I've spent time checking on all my cities, checking enemy positions, taking a look see at the tech tree, etc. I never understood why games like this actually had an option to not pause at the end of turn cause I couldn't believe anyone would play that way.
                              Exactly. Many time I need to pause to think at the end of turn, evaluate the existing situation, adjust the movement plots of units (e.g. a barbarian has just shown up next to my Axeman heading somewhere else - time for plan B ), etc.

This is what TBS games are supposed to be like
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X