Civ4 Playing Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ4 Playing Style

I play Civ4 in several ways. When I am serious I play my 'serious game'. When I am feeling a little playful I play my 'carefree' game. Admittedly, at the beginning the 'carefree' games get more time and as time pass and I become better I turn to serious gaming. So my gameplay varies with my mood.

Just interested, is this behavior weird, or do you also do it? Do you play relaxed games and intense games? One where you strive to win, other where you do things for the fun of it?

I never play relaxed. To win, is the objective

Comment

Both are valid ways to play the game.
      IMO, if you're the one that spent your own money on the game box, the way you play is up to you.
      The Casual vs. Serious debate sparked tensions in the last Democracy Game, and I'm willing to bet it will spark tensions in this one.

Comment

i play to have fun - which means "how high can i set the difficulty before the computer starts interfering with my wonderful empire?"
        it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

I play for fun and only for fun. If I feel that the game is a constant struggle to survive or if I simply fall horribly behind in technology, I will consider starting a new game. As I learn, this ceiling gradually gets higher and I move up in difficulty levels. While I CAN play at the high difficulty levels, I don't find it fun to constantly dig myself out of a huge hole. I prefer to play on more or less even ground and try out different strategies, leaders, etc.

With Civ4, I'm up to the point where I can beat Noble without much trouble and will consider moving up in a game or two, but I'm in no rush to work that hard just yet. I guess I'm in your 'carefree' category

Comment

I play for fun. In other words, I am not going to spend too much time micromanaging and thinking hard in other ways. I just like to watch my empire grow, and perhaps roll over another empire or two in the process

If I want to think hard I might as well find a programming topic to work on.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I play for the challenge. I don't want an easy game, but one that I have to try my best to win. But I draw the line at emperor, which is all I play now. But each game you learn new strategies, and more about Civ mechanics. It's a numbers game, as someone here said. Micromanaging is fun up until about six or eight cites, then I let my workers automate with the options enabled to not cut forests or remove existing improvements. But also in the city screen, there's alot of fun in optimizing your economy, production, science, ...

But the most satisfaction comes from having a game plan and working toward that goal. Discovering paper which allows map trading offers the first full look at the big picture, always a time to contemplate what Machiavellian plan might bring the world under your control.

Comment

Working...
              X