wow, time marches on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adagio

I loved the SE idea (and I'm glad they put it into Civ4), but the workshop was just annoying

I do like Sci-fi though, so I'm keeping my eye on the SMAC mod for Civ4
    I had forgotten about that!

and wasn't it smac that the civics system was based on?
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
      I do see the point, but for some reason I just never liked it
      Maybe it just takes some time to get used to it, I've only played 5-6 games of SMAC
      What? You are now sentenced to play 100 games of Alpha Centauri.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: I want more sequels of old games to please this old gamer....

Originally posted by MasterDave
        Master of Magic was an amazing combination of Civ and Heroes of Might and magic with stacked combat that was ripped off by the Age of Wonders games.
        Master of Magic is too much like Magic: the Gathering and has too many unbalancing factors to my liking. The leaders are even worse than those in Master of Orion 2, and those can easily break the game.

IMO, Age of Wonders has a better design, even though the "death magic" is still poorly designed.

Originally posted by MasterDave
        Also, I would love to see a Moo4 done by the original SimTex people that would play more like an updated Moo2, which has always been one of my favorites and I was STILL playing multiplayer games of right up until Civ4 was released.
        Steve Barcia seems to have vanished off the game development scene, unfortunately.
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by vee4473
          and wasn't it smac that the civics system was based on?
          SE (Social Engineering) is the same as the civics in Civ4
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy

Well, I am a SF fan, and I still don't like it
            The unit workshop really sucked. All units looked the same. I had no spirit.
            Besides that, you don't need SMAC to implement it, it can be implemented in civ5 as well.
            I agree with you CyberShy and I'm a sci fi fan as well.

I think it had loads of great ideas but I just didn't click with it.

And I really didn't get excited about the different units.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Master of Magic like MagictheGathering?Not at all.MoM is like the grand daddy of the Civ,Orion and Age of Wonders series(all good games).King´Bounty is the Knights of Might and Magic 0,here there also construction but the stacks are far more important(also good games,not so good,but good).Magic the Gathering is a very interesting,good,card game,under a strange conception:a card game without a fixed pack of cards;a new idea,that opposes itself to the estabelished one.
              (BTW,MtG makes me remember of two computer´s games:Advanced Civilization,where one could not take or destroy the opponents´pieces,and Majesty,a RPG where the player wasn´t the hero,but the owner of the shops.
              Best regards,

Comment

Re: Re: I want more sequels of old games to please this old gamer....

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Master of Magic is too much like Magic: the Gathering and has too many unbalancing factors to my liking. The leaders are even worse than those in Master of Orion 2, and those can easily break the game.

IMO, Age of Wonders has a better design, even though the "death magic" is still poorly designed.

Steve Barcia seems to have vanished off the game development scene, unfortunately.
                Too bad about Steve, SimTex games MoM, Moo, and Moo2 are probably three of my five favorite games of all time. Master of Magic has some leaders that were far too powerful, but the core design and open-endedness of the game (CivNess if you prefer, where you place your cities and build them from the ground up) is what makes that game great, and what I would like to see in a sequel. Age of Wonders got close, but the scenarios were a bit too scripted to really have the appeal that MoM had.

MoM is nothing like Magic, the Gathering, I do not see the parallel beyond the word "Magic" and the presence of wizards.
                "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                  Borders and culture were developped and experienced with in civ3. Civ4 has been build on that experience.
                  Borders were actually tried first in SMAC. So were sea based developments (now workboats) and a variety of resources (sargasso sea, uranium flats, pholus ridge... etc). Part of the beauty of SMAC was the original story line, always something that's hard to do because it can flop, and some people just won't like it.

My progression of favouraties has been Civ -> SMAC -> Civ 4.

Enjoyed MoM and AoW and MOO and MOO2. But they are a different kind of "fix".

Comment

Borders were actually tried first in SMAC. So were sea based developments (now workboats) and a variety of resources (sargasso sea, uranium flats, pholus ridge... etc). Part of the beauty of SMAC was the original story line, always something that's hard to do because it can flop, and some people just won't like it.
                    That reminds me of one of my favourite aspects of Alpha Centaur: how special geographic areas acted as a bonus. It's a shame Civ IV doesnt have a similar thing: maybe areas like The Great Barrier Reef to give an extra commerce point, or The Amazon Rainforests for a health boost.
                    Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Oh man, I almost forgot about the geographic wonders (as I liked to call them)! Those things were great! Can you imagine a "Gold Mountains" or "Rainforest" or "Oil Flats" areas in Civ. That would be awesome .

One other brilliant idea from SMAC . Though I agree that I loved the story arc. It really drew me into the game!
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

when i think of all those hours i spent on civX, moo2, & smac.... & if they came out with new vers of smac & moo2 i would happily spend many more hours playing

Comment

fed1943, MasterDave,

Regarding Master of Magic and Magic: the Gathering, there were quite a number of things that were identical between the two.

1. Each game has 5 spheres or schools of magic. Each sphere is represented by a colour, and these colours were identical for both.

2. Furthermore, each sphere represents some element, aspect of nature, etc. These too are identical for both. Black - death, Red - fire/chaos, Green - nature, White - good/combat, Blue - water/air/metamagic.

3. The spells of these spheres were identical to a very large extent for both games. Of course, for M:tG, you have to look at the correct edition(s) and expansions. This would be the Revised Edition and Forth Edition plus Ice Age with various expansions.

4. Your main character in MoM is called a planeswalker IIRC. The most powerful wizards in M:tG are called planeswalkers as well.

Sure, you don't build cities or units in M:tG, but the similarities between the two are unmistakable for those who started playing M:tG early enough

Comment

Originally posted by fed1943
                            (BTW,MtG makes me remember of two computer´s games:Advanced Civilization,where one could not take or destroy the opponents´pieces,and Majesty,a RPG where the player wasn´t the hero,but the owner of the shops.
                            Advanced Civilization is based on Avalon Hill's boardgame Civlization. It bears no relation with Sid's creation other than the name.

Great, great social game if you can find it.

Comment

Working...
                            X