18 civ domination victory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 civ domination victory?

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I have recently been experimenting with 18 civ domination games on huge maps. I think the game gets much more interesting with the addition of so many civs. I generally find peaceful space race rather boring and these type of games really force you to concentrate on military and diplomacy. I was wondering if anyone has been able to achieve a domination/conquest/diplomatic win in this situation on higher difficulty levels (prince or above). If anyone has achieved domination, did you find it easier or more difficult than with standard number of civs?

My only domination win so far was with Rome on Prince level on large pangea (I haven't played that many games yet as I usually like to build massive armies and get into numerous wars even in my spaceship games). I found it was pretty easy to run every one over with Caesar and standard number of civs. I am having much more trouble with all 18 civs. I picked random civ and got capac on huge ice age map. This was kinda cool since his quechas allowed me to pick off a very nice
    English capital and several other cities. Luckily I am on the large continent with about 12 civs.

Currently it is 1850ish and I have about 25% landmass. I dont know if I will be able to pull it off, but I refuse to cop out and start on space ship. I really had trouble in middle ages as aztecs declared war on me twice just as I was gearing up to invade and capture more territory. He invaded with a ton of troops and took several cites and pillaged like crazy. As a result I stalled out on conquering till cavalry.

I think my main problem is that I have major difficulties keeping the war machine rolling. After taking about 4 or 5 cities my war weariness gets so bad that my cities start losing pop and my income gets lower and lower. Finally after building rushmore and adopting police state it is not much of a problem, however its probably to late to win. I am currently taking out my frustrations on Cyrus who is top space candidate. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep the pressure up for very long stretches?

As an aside, I really like incan combination of aggresive and financial. His aggresive trait really packs a punch in the early game with UU and financial is killer for funding those late game wars as I am running 80% science with by far #1 military and still raking in the dough.

Well I just did a "conquest only", on a huge map, on marathon speed. Let me tell you that took awhile but I finally prevailed when I got my cossacks. I sure had alot of cities by the end, at least 50 (oops Just counted over 100 cities I ended up with ) , all on Monarch level. Ended up with 80000 and won around 1450ish?
    Last edited by poiuyt00; January 14, 2006, 00:06.

Comment

dont' you have performance issues with so many civs on a huge (I assume) map? I tried playing huge maps (Earth scenario with only 8 civs) and I found that once I get to middle age and up it gets slower and slower. To make things worse, even moving units or improving land becomes slower, issuing a simple build irrigation order has a slight delay that gets annoying over time. Since my computer is towards the high end (2gb ram, Athlon 3500+, X800XT video) I would think that even a very high end machine would experience the same problems? I try to keep my video settings reasonable, no AA and few effects enabled. However, I would expect that the performance issues are not video related. Even more interesting is that memory usage doesn't go beyond 5-600 MB so I have plenty of RAM left. The only thing I can think of is that the amount of computation required is just too much so it starts slowing everything down.

Comment

Yes I had some performance issues also. If you change graphic settings to low, however, it seems to run fine.

Comment

Working...
        X