Gamespy interviews Soren Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamespy interviews Soren Johnson

There's a lot of talk about modding, but he also mentions the throne room a bit, nothing concrete though...
    This space is empty... or is it?

Thanks.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Thank you for the news tip Adagio.
      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Thanks a lot, Adagio.
        RIAA sucks
        The Optimistas
        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

awesome

Comment

Wheee!
            "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
            Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Cheers ADG!
              And ulfn is mentioned again.
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Johnson: One moment that certainly stands out in my mind was a press event we held a few months before release. A number of journalists from around the world (including GameSpy's Fargo) flew into Baltimore to give Civ IV multiplayer a try. A few of them, of course, couldn't help but be skeptical given the multiplayer track record of previous Civilization games. We had scheduled the event so that there would be a couple of hours to play, and then an hour when they could interview Sid. Well, that hour never came -- nobody seemed to want to stop playing, even for a coveted Sid interview! Needless to say, that was a pretty good sign.

That's hilarious!
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The SDK will allow experienced programmers to change the AI and the game to create completely new experiences outside of the norm for Civ IV. Want to make underwater cities? How about adding a new kind of great leader for military uses? Want to bring back armies like in Civ III? Interested in getting rid of workers in favor of a broader public works system? All of this is possible -- and that's just the tip of the iceberg!

*drool*

GameSpy: What are your immediate plans for supporting the franchise and interacting with the player community?

Caudill: We have two very exciting things coming up in the near future, but I can't talk about them yet. Let's just say they involve competition regarding two very important aspects of Civilization IV.

Any thoughts on this?
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

One of those aspects must involve modding abilities... I bet!
                    RIAA sucks
                    The Optimistas
                    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Well, who knows, perhaps one of them involves greater competition between religions? Just a thought. Economic competition would also be great in the later game. i.e. a system for Multinational corporations and the like which operates along similar lines to religion. Again, just an idea-guess we will have to wait and see.

Yours,
                      Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Read the quote carefully - it is about supporting player community not the game mechanics. We'll get most likely get a multiplayer tournament and a modding contest.
                        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

However, from a technical point of view, we actually developed Civ IV not as a specific game, but as a turn-based strategy game platform
                          *sniff sniff* is that a hint of Xenofungus I smell?

Comment

OK, sorry, I didn't get that context.

Comment

Originally posted by Illuminatus
                              Read the quote carefully - it is about supporting player community not the game mechanics. We'll get most likely get a multiplayer tournament and a modding contest.
                              Yeah, it seems that may be more likely. I wonder what the prizes will be .

Comment

Working...
                              X