Question on Seige Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Seige Weapons

In Civ 3, you can bombard a tile from a way off without endangering your own unit. In Civ 4 you can do this only to city defenses. Since the weapons are usually weaker in combat strength than their defenders, they seem to be used more for a kamikazi type tactic now. You send the weapon in, hoping for some good collateral damage, but you know you will lose it.

Am I missing something? I don't see the value in a unit you can use just once.
    The Rook

You're missing that:

i) siege units are cheap. Sacrificing a few so your real units can mop up the defenses is a good trade.
    ii) all siege units start with a decent retreat chance, meaning they don't necessarily die.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Yes, had a catapult withdraw from combat (after the other 6 died) and wondered what was going on.

Got a promo out of it so when it was destroyed on its next attack I took comfort in knowing it had at least experienced the joy of battle promotion.
      If pigs could fly we'd all have to wear helmets.
      Please don't be envious of my little girlie brain.

Comment

If you attack the city of an enemy that is fairly even with you tech-wise, you simply have no choice. You are going to lose units softening up the defenders, might as well be the cheap catapults that can soften up several at once.

Comment

OK, I thought there was something I was missing. I think it was better in Civ 3, but I guess the developers see things differently.
          The Rook

Comment

Once you get to the gunpowder era you can build cannons who have an attack score that is competitive against the infantry of that era.

Personally I only use catapults against city defences but cannons and artillery are a different story.

Comment

In civ3 I'd just make 6 - 10 artilery and never need another unit again beyond what i already had.
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Originally posted by Rook
                OK, I thought there was something I was missing. I think it was better in Civ 3, but I guess the developers see things differently.
                They were overpowered in Civ 3. Just send in a stack, never worry about them taking damage, and reduce the opposition to nothing so your other units can just walk in to a city, or destroy a stack of doom. Then rinse and repeat with the same units you've been upgrading since Catapults. Civ 4 may not have the perfect system, yet, but it's certainly better than Civ 3.

Comment

You make a point.
                  The Rook

Comment

Working...
                  X