The "undocumented features" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "undocumented features" thread

There are a number of things that can happen that aren't in the manual or covered in the Civilopedia - here's a thread which I hope will provide a roundup of what they are and what they do

To start things off:

1) "We Love [your name] Day" - as in Civ III if your city is of a large enough size and is full of happy people, they will declare this day. I haven't checked to see what this does though or how exactly it is triggered. Anyone care to help?

2) The UN - how does it work? What can it do/resolve?
    My home page, My blog

These are both documented

1) Says in the manual that the city undergoing WLTKD has no maintenance cost for that turn. Every city that qualifies for a WLTKD (depends on hapiness) has a random chance of celebrating each turn

2) as in civ3, you can win by diplomacy with UN. Otherwise every few turns you get a popup asking to vote on a resolution, and if enough votes are gathered, well everybody in the world is stuck with that civic, no choice.

Comment

Well I suppose it's not too surprising I didn't find the WLTKD documentation if it is in the manual since there is no index.

And the conditions for when a city is eligible to randomly declare WLTKD are also not clear. Any ideas?

Surely there are some other undocumented things someone has noticed? The civilopedia even mentions under (I think) happiness that there are some happiness creating conditions which you will find later in the game.
      My home page, My blog

Comment

It's on page 55 of my manual.

Reqs for WLTK day:
        -Pop greater than 7
        -No angry citizens
        -No losing food from unhealthiness

Now the chance of a city celebrating WLTK day is a function of how many happy's you have relative to your unhappy's. For example a city with 25 happy's and 10 unhappy's will celebrate a lot, but a city with 9 happy's and 7 unhappy's will rarely celebrate WLTK day.

Comment

Thanks xxFlukexx that helps (I am posting from work and my manual was at home so I couldn't check it!)
          My home page, My blog

Comment

David, this kind of thread should really be on the general forum, as it's about game mechanics, rather than strategy. It's a shame to dilute the strategic discussions with questions raised by the poor indexing in the manual. Thanks.

Comment

Well there is always the circumnavigation bonus...

That one should start the list off well

Comment

Originally posted by Jerh9e1k5
                Well there is always the circumnavigation bonus...

That one should start the list off well
                +1 naval movement for the player who succeeds.

Note that on some maps this doesn't apply. ("Great Plains" and "Lots of Lakes")
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

lol, sorry I forgot to define it. Thanks Jon

Comment

I believe that the cost in population to draft a unit goes up depending on the unit's sophistication. Drafting a redcoat cost me 2 pop while drafting classical era units only cost me one. Same (-3) happiness cost though
                    My home page, My blog

Comment

riflemen 1 infantry 2 mech inf 3

for drafting pop cost

it might be purely some shield per pop thing or just a str thing, riflemen 14 might round down to 10 then /10 to work out pop so 1, infantry 20 str so 2, mech inf 32 so round down to 30 / 10 is 3?

just a guess

Comment

There are some artificial population limits that I haven't been able to figure out yet. Anyone know what they are and what alleviates them?

Comment

I think there is a connection between culture levels and happiness hinted at in the Civilopedia (beyond the unhappiness of being close to a much better culture or the theatre trade-off). Any idea what it is?
                          My home page, My blog

Comment

Working...
                          X