The Total War series has spoiled me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Total War series has spoiled me

I'm sure plenty of people have both played a game in the Total War series AND have had a similar experience to mine.
    The year is 1670 or so, playing as Roosevelt and working on my way to riflemen. After a long bout of whining, Saladin
    declares war and sends a horde of camel archers up north towards my lands, through hills and forest. Perfect place for an ambush.

So I ready longbowmen on forested hills, Saladin marches his camel archers up, my archers open fire under the protection
    of the forest, slaughter his camels and give me enough time to pump out riflemen and cannons to utterly destroy him.
    This is when I am reminded that I am playing Civ4, not Medieval Total War.

Instead of the above scenario, the camels slaughter my fortified archers and run around causing all kinds of hell.
    Anyone else run into a similar situation?

*Adds note to cheat and nuke Saladin prior to starting a new game

You're right, this is Civ4, not Total War. You aren't allowed to fight battles outside the safety of city walls here. It's a design feature.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

question: in an always-war game... does war weariness exist?

also: is everybody at war or only vs. human player?
      - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
      - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

If you were attacking then of course you lost. Attacking from 'under cover' is irrelevant in this game, and his units are better than yours. If you were defending then you got the 50% bonus, it just wasn't enough.

I suggest you learn to play this game if you want to be good at this game.

Comment

actually defending on a forested hill would have made his long bows tough enough to take out 1 or 2 camels each....

Course i do think he said archers...
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

It would be totally cool if someone married the age-spanning 4X strategy play of the Civ series with the tactical mechanics of the Total War series.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
              It would be totally cool if someone married the age-spanning 4X strategy play of the Civ series with the tactical mechanics of the Total War series.
              Ah, but what makes you think the beta testers would ever get anything done?

Comment

Originally posted by Hauptman
                actually defending on a forested hill would have made his long bows tough enough to take out 1 or 2 camels each....

Course i do think he said archers...
                actually i believe HE was attacking the camels, while not knowing that fortification only is useful in defence...
                - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Wasn't that covered in Civ3 by ZOC? It allowed your fast units to take free shots at units going past, and your Mech Inf. to take free shots at your own workers.

Comment

To be more precise, it was covered in Civ/Civ2, ruined in Civ3, and omitted altogether in Civ4.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                      Man would it ever! Tho like Civ, i've always felt the diplomacy in the TW series was very lacking. need better AI/Diplomacy!!

Originally posted by DrSpike
                      To be more precise, it was covered in Civ/Civ2, ruined in Civ3, and omitted altogether in Civ4.
                      ROFL! Too true

Z

Comment

Maybe they can implement "ambush" feature in Civ IV, i.e. giving a hidden army (which would require stealth promotion) 25% bonus when attacking from wooded area due to element of surprise. However, if an opposing army also has a "stealth" unit in the stack, then the bonus would be cancelled out. This way, there would be more incentive to leave some forest in your territory, other than just for lumber mills and health.

Comment

Re: The Total War series has spoiled me

Originally posted by Saturnalia
                          After a long bout of whining, Saladin declares war and sends a horde of camel archers up north towards my lands, through hills and forest.
                          Question - why did you let that happen? If you aren't prepared for war, try to forestall it.

Sun Tzu wrote in The Art of War that the best way to win a war is through diplomacy.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It would make sense - if you order your longbowmen to fortify on a forested hill, they are hardly going to just sit there and let the enemy walk right by. It sort of makes me reconsider my position on the complete uselessness of the old SMAC (maybe in others I can't remember) style of not being able to move from a square adjacent to an enemy to another square adjacent to that enemy. But yeah they should just fire off a few volleys, goad the enemy into attacking uphill through a forest and then either slaughter them or fight a firing retreat, killing a large number of them.
                            "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                            Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Axxaer
                              It sort of makes me reconsider my position on the complete uselessness of the old SMAC (maybe in others I can't remember) style of not being able to move from a square adjacent to an enemy to another square adjacent to that enemy
                              That's in games with ZoC (zone of control). You cannot move from one hex/tile/etc in an enemy ZoC directly into another. One of the cardinal rules.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X