permanent alliance....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• permanent alliance....

after researching fascism and having a defensive pact with a neighboring nation, I am still unable to request a permanent alliance through the trade proposal screen.... it infact never shows up as a possibility, not even in red. I was wondering what the requirements that I must fulfill in order to offer a permanent alliance are/what I need to do.

Thanks in advance.

custom game/enable permanent alliances

I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

thanks a million!

Comment

I was damn annoyed today because of this, too. And the manual doesn't mention anything about it! Why on earth don't the game tips state clearly that permanent alliances are only possible in custom games?!

Comment

Why you don't play custom games?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Because isn't this a question!

Comment

I did try a custom game before, and it was quite cool, especially because of the control we have over the aspects of the game, and the "Balanced" map, which does sound quite nice.

However, I never said I didn't like custom games. I was just annoyed to find out that Permanent Alliances are only available in custom games, and neither the manual nor the game tips say anything about this. Yesterday, I wasted 9 hours of my weekend time in a civ4 game that ended up with me losing for a backstabbing leader who voted for herself & for the other when she was friendly to me and only pleased with him, and we also had a Defensive Pact agreement! Moreover, my score changed from the top to being the second, and I was just 20 points below the first civ. All this because I wasted a lot of my resources in discovering BOTH: Communism & Fascism, even though I wasn't interested in either. But I discovered Communism just so I can make a Permanent Alliance, when it didn't work, I thought maybe I have to also discover Fascism, so I did. When that didn't work, I built the UN. And in the very end, the very leader with whom I wanted to make a permanent alliance beat me by a diplomatic victory, even though she was the bottom score & I was the top until the last 10 years or so. I was gutted after all the time invested.

Comment

How many civs can be in a permanent alliance? (In-game one - not set up through custom game options)

Comment

Originally posted by TheHateMale
                  How many civs can be in a permanent alliance? (In-game one - not set up through custom game options)
                  Most I've managed is three (including my Civ). Not sure if it is restricted by the code, but the diplomacy involved makes having more than a three-way alliance pretty difficult.
                  "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                  "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                  "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I almost always play with Permanent Alliances on, but as a rule only can get one AI Civ to ally with me. The AI Civs, however, will frequently group together in threes. I’ve never seen larger groupings.

Custom games: They’re are great, but my only tiny quibble is in the Victory Conditions screen (or whatever it is called). While it will give you certain information as to your setting (Raging Barbarians, Permanent Alliances, Rivals Met, Rivals Remaining, etc.) it does not inform you (or perhaps I am unable to find) which Victory Conditions are turned on and off.
                    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by sum123
                      I was damn annoyed today because of this, too. And the manual doesn't mention anything about it! Why on earth don't the game tips state clearly that permanent alliances are only possible in custom games?!
                      And, more importantly, WHY are they only enabled in custom games?

Comment

Originally posted by Strategist83

And, more importantly, WHY are they only enabled in custom games?
                        Agreed. It should be a simple option in the setup panel. Pick up "permanent alliances" along with "continents", "no trade techs" and "ragging barbarians", whatever.
                        RIAA sucks
                        The Optimistas
                        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Why does custom games bother you? it lets you choose number of civs even what those civs are, what type of continent/map or you can leave it all at default. It's not like its cheating.

Oh and to answer that last question... you may only ally with ONE other civ, i checked, you no longer have the option available with other civs afterwards.

Ive never seen a 3way ai alliance.

Now defensive pacts... my current game i have 7 defensive pacts active. out of 14 civs... =) its an OCC so i need the protection.
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Ive been in a 3 way permanent alliance myself and had the option to ask a fourth civ who declined , only to join a two way with another civ the next turn.

This other aliance supported ours in the UN votes consistently so in effect we had a five civ alliance, it was not that long before we gained a diplomatic victory.

The permanent alliances are a cool feature and they should be an option on the main set up.

edit: forgot to add it was a game with 16 civs on a huge map, all civs still survived though some had been ravaged by wars. myself i never got involved in war the whole game.
                            A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Working...
                            X