Improve usefullness of forts/defensive squares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improve usefullness of forts/defensive squares

Now forts are totally useless exept at chokepoints and even then they are not all that great. I think enemy units should not be allowed to move around a fort so like this:

OXE
    OFX
    OOO

O is just a normal square
    F is the fort
    E is the enemy
    X is where the enemy can't move to

The enemy unit should be able to move away from the fort and move around it with a large circle but not just walk right past it. Same with units on defensive positions (hills/forests) on fortify mode)

So there should be some kind of attack or retreat on the 8 squares around the fort/defensive position

Yeah, forts are kind of silly at this point. I don't think I've constructed very many simply because the benefits don't seem that great.
    One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
    "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

You're actually better off just puting a unit down on a Forest/Jungle square. It has a 50% defense bonus as opposed to a Fort's 25%. Unless it's built on a Hill, there isn't much point andd even then it just matches Forest. Rather useless IMO.

Comment

There's a MOD for strengthening forts here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=142803
        One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
        "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

Well, I've yet to seen how a fort looks like in game. After having finished several games. It really is useless.

Comment

Maybe at least NOT have forts destroy the improvements in the same hex? Like build one on an Iron Mine without messing up the Mine.

Comment

Yes, that would be nice. It would give us a way to protect our resources at least.

Comment

Yeah....I actually used forts a good amount in Civ3, but I have yet to figure out a real use for them this game. They'd be more useful if you could at least build them in neutral or enemy terratory, like roads (or forts in civ3).

Comment

Working...
                X