The rifleman unit - a bit weak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rifleman unit - a bit weak?

Grenadiers get a massive damage bonus against riflemen (50%). This comes at a very small price: Strength 12 versus the rifleman's strength 14. Is this not a bit unbalanced? Should not the rifleman and the cavalry - along with all later units - have their strengths boosted to offset the grenadier's bonus?

Cavalry vs Grenadier perhaps? Sounds strong enough to me.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Grenadiers only get the bonus when attacking. So a Rifleman attacking a Grenadier has the advantage. Riflemen tear Cavalry apart. Riflemen that are defending cities - fortified and with City Garrison promotion - are not easy targets even for Grenadiers.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Remove the grenadier from the game entirely
        Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          Grenadiers only get the bonus when attacking.
          Oh. That changes things around a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mujadaddy
            Remove the grenadier from the game entirely
            One unit at a time.
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

First we gotta remove axemen, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                First we gotta remove axemen, apparently.
                Hey, I need those axmen to clear away the barbarian scum!

Comment

Grenadiers are nothing but elite musketeers. The grenadiers of Napoleon's time never saw a grenade.
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

This reminds me somewhat of the complaint that swordsmen are too weak. Each unit has its advantages, disadvantages and uses. Some just have more than others. If you think a unit's too weak just don't use it and laugh at everyone who does.
                    "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                    Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                      Grenadiers are nothing but elite musketeers. The grenadiers of Napoleon's time never saw a grenade.
                      Grenadiers of earlier periods did, however.
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Also in this game 'Napoleon's time' lasts for over 6000 years.
                        "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                        Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

No, Napoleon usually only lasts until 1000AD when the dude who gets gunpowder first (forgot his name, starts with a B) beats him down.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist

Grenadiers of earlier periods did, however.
                            Grenades were fashionable for a short period of time. They were too dangerous to the side using them. It's doubtful that they made a difference in any battle, with the exception of naval battles. (John Paul Jones used grenades to capture Serapis. )
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                            X