What is the Best Trait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Best Trait?

I'm surprized I haven't seen this poll here. Only one in General that is over a month old. So since people have had more time to play, and especially more time to try the harder difficulties, what is your favorite trait?

If you haven't even made it to Noble yet, then please don't vote.
    Aggressive
    3.57%
    Creative
    11.43%
    Financial
    40.00%
    Expansive
    4.29%
    Industrious
    15.71%
    Organized
    6.43%
    Philosophical
    6.79%
    Spiritual
    8.57%
    Banana
    3.21%
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

depending on my strategy... one of agressive, financial, industrius, or spiritual. As the big winner I picked financial because its more flexable.
    ~I like eggs.~

Comment

I'm playing at Noble does that count?

I chose Financial. Commerce is king and greed is good!

I can see the other one being picked (by us first 4 pollers) Spiritual as a big plus in a quick or normal game, but I always play Marathon.
      "The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn."

Feyd

Comment

I'm voting Organized because it's a great passive trait, using any adaptive/aggressive playstyle it's going to help out a lot. Organized lets you focus entirely on maximizing the other trait. IMHO the very best trait combo in the game is Aggressive/Organized (Tokugawa), if it was combined with a good UU (instead of a so-so one) it would make for a truly brutal leader.

Comment

[SIZE=1] . . . Spiritual as a big plus in a quick or normal game, . . .
          I picked spiritual, but I had never thought about this fact. But it is totally correct.

But it still ultimately depends on what you are trying to do. That is why I almost always play a random civ.
          Early to rise, Early to bed.
          Makes you healthy and socially dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
            I'm voting Organized because it's a great passive trait, using any adaptive/aggressive playstyle it's going to help out a lot. Organized lets you focus entirely on maximizing the other trait. IMHO the very best trait combo in the game is Aggressive/Organized (Tokugawa), if it was combined with a good UU (instead of a so-so one) it would make for a truly brutal leader.
            Tokugawa does indeed rock, as does Caesar (sure, you lose aggressive, but you gain Praetorians ). Organized is a solid trait that seems undervalued by many players.

I still haven't decided which trait I like best. Playing on Prince so far, I've liked Organized, Financial, Industrious and Spiritual a lot, with Aggressive, Expansionist and Philosophical being a step down. But I could certainly see Agg and Exp picking up value as difficulty increases.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Had to go with Financial, but Org was a close second....the lure of all that easy money is just too hard to pass on tho....

-=Vel=-
              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Org/Fin are the two sides of the old CivIII "Commercial" coin, just seperated into two traits now.

It seems to me that Fin is more of the peaceful builder (vertical growth) trait and Org is more of the warmonger (lateral growth) trait. Given your (fairly aggressive) playstyle, Vel, I'm a tad surprised that Org hasn't surpassed Fin in your personal rankings.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Mwahaha Vel's a warmongerer

I don't like organized much because its -too- behind the scenes.. At least with finacial you know to get the most out of it you need alot more cottages than normal.. and with aggressive you use alot more melee units than mounted. Spiritual might just be the most micro-managable trait of all since you can switch civics/religions every 5 turns to work with your next 5 turns' strategy.

For a good city manager philosophical is no bigger time investment than usual, but for newer gamers it too requires alot of planning.
                  ~I like eggs.~

Comment

I think that what makes Fin win out over Org (for me, at least) is the fact that I tend to gravitate towards fairly inexpensive civics anyway (slavery, free religion, free speech, etc), and only rarely or in times of dire crisis run expensive combinations, so I really don't get as much out of Org as say, a warmonger running Police State/Theocracy might. Org would be a VERY strong trait (prolly surpassing Fin) for early religion founders/Org Religion folks, but I've been veering away from that course for the most part, but for folks with an interest in an early religion, I could see a strong argument for Org over Fin (with the temple from the religion filling in for the gains from Fin itself).

Pretty close contest, but with my playstyle, Fin provides a bit more "kick" than Org.

-=Vel=-
                    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I just love those wonders... so IND is for me.
                      Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

I voted creative:creative means space,begining with the city´radius,the only place one can draw food,hammers and commerce from.
                        Best regards,

Comment

Hmm, good points, Vel. And, truth be told, I also tend to gravitate towards cheaper civics (Representation or Universal Suffrage, Bureacracy, Slavery or Emancipation, Free Trade with an occasional foray into Mercantalism, Pacifism followed by Free Religion) so I'm not maximizing the ORG trait either. I keep meaning to get a good game going as Asoka so I can switch civics at will, and actually try running some of the other civics combos.

I've occasionally run organized religion, but lately I've found that I tend to ignore monotheism completely (I've been in the industrial age w/o getting it).

-Arrian

Comment

Philosophical + Pacifism = lots of Great People.

Comment

I think Civ4 should have 3 traits per Civilization, instead of just 2.

Now that would be interesting and enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                              X