Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major worker improvement idea for lazy micro managers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major worker improvement idea for lazy micro managers!

Hi all! Found something to say, so I'm de-lurking!

The new patch made it reasonably ok to automate workers, since now you can stop them from indiscriminately chopping down all your forests, but I STILL find myself micromanaging workers mostly because they tend to build too many farms and too few cottages for my taste. That's why I only turn them to automation late in the game, when most of the city squares have been built on already. I guess I'm a control freak then... But I don't particularly enjoy worker micromanaging. Especially with larger empires it tends to get tedious.

Thinking about this problem I had an !

This is probably a too big change for a patch (though I hope not!), but I'd like to see it at least in future versions of the series:

Pre-planning improvements! It would be great if I could, from the city screen, go into some sort of a city planning mode, where I could pre-select an improvement for each tile, and my workers would then follow that plan (If the player has set a plan of course).

The idea would be that in this planning, you could even set down improvements that you don't have the technologies for yet, and your workers would implement that plan whenever the necessary technology came available. In the meanwhile, they could build whatever else they like on that square - for example, if I plan a windmill on a hill, before the necessary tech for windmills becomes available, a worker would be allowed to build a mine there. Then when the tech became available, a worker would replace the mine with the pre-planned windmill.

This kind of a thing would be great for all us lazy perfectionists, because you would need to do all your micro managing only once for each city, and then know that your automated workers will do EXCATLY what you want them to do with your city tiles for the rest of the game.

Oh, and one more smaller addition that I would hope to see in a patch - an option to allow your workers to replace an old improvement if a new resource appears on the square. For example, if aluminum pops up on a hill where I have a windmill, then of course I want a worker to replace that windmill with a mine.
    Last edited by MightyTiny; January 4, 2006, 06:47.
    Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Great minds think alike...

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...57#post4221357

"03-01-2006 10:23

What I'd like for the expansion is a method of 'directing' automated workers.

I'd like for there to be an overlay the player can bring up and then drag and drop 'ghost' improvements to where you want them built. Roads here, cottages here, farms here, lumber mills here etc. So you can just spend a few moments laying out what you want. Then you can close the overlay and set workers to automate so they build only the improvements where you have specified.

Even after the latest patch I don't fully automate until the only things left to build are railroads and lumber mills. I like to make sure I can get irrigation spread to where its needed, cottages put in the best spots and so forth. Something like this will allow me (and others) to automate from the start."

I hope they put something like this in the expansion.
    Last edited by Silver14; January 5, 2006, 13:58.

Comment

It indeed appears so!
      Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

Originally posted by Silver14
        Great minds think alike...
        Hey! How did you know what I'm thinking?
        "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
        Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Axxaer

Hey! How did you know what I'm thinking?
          Its easy.

You're thinking Banana.

I hope they consider this for the expansion, as I don't like to babysit workers but care even less for the automated decision makeing.

Comment

Great idea, MightyTiny and Silver14. In fact, excellent idea!!!
            RIAA sucks
            The Optimistas
            I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

/me likes that idea

Would be nice to have a "worker jobs overlay"
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I wonder if the people at Firaxis read this forum for ideas? Or should ideas like this be sent directly to some e-mail address for the purpose? Though I imagine they are probably inundated by feedback - and everybody thinks their idea for improvement is the most urgently needed.

But this one really IS most urgently needed!

Comment

They do read some posts here and occasionally respond.

Comment

Originally posted by MightyTiny
                    I wonder if the people at Firaxis read this forum for ideas? Or should ideas like this be sent directly to some e-mail address for the purpose?
                    Didn't you know? The idea of Civ4 was born here on 'Poly!
                    He who knows others is wise.
                    He who knows himself is enlightened.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder

Didn't you know? The idea of Civ4 was born here on 'Poly!
                      And all this time I thought it was while Sid was sitting on the pot. Its where I do my best thinking...

Comment

I've had the same idea.

A 'tile improvements planning layer' would really be the ideal solution to worker micromanagement.

Comment

But before Lumbermills become available, Workers will proceed to use available improvements for the tile - causing the forest to disappear.

Comment

Some sort of queuing worker actions could be good too.

Like add farm here and road, then go to this tile and do mine then to next one and make cottage.

Comment

You can queue worker actions by using the shift key, much like you can queue production. The limitation is that the technology to make the improvement must be known when you give the orders.

I am finding that worker automation is just fine after my core six or seven cities have been improved. Of course I have the options not to chop forests or destory existing improvements checked.
                              "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Working...
                              X