Capture city: no improvements (erm?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capture city: no improvements (erm?)

I took the time to try Civ4 and still don't get why conquered cities have NO improvements in them. Yes, I do see that AIs don't necessarily manage "improvements" as us. But GalCiv did manage that.

Simple: you capture a city, then there's a roll of dices to determine what's left in the city for you to rule.

From a non-programmer angle, it looks simple, already in other games, and consequential both for fun and making sense. I'm wondering what blocked this to make it in Civ4. Anyone knows?

NB: The overall game is incredible! No doubt it beats every previous Civ title!
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Mine have, if AI has build them...
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

It actually does it exactly how you say, there is a check on each building when you capture a city. National Wonders always get destroyed and World Wonders are always kept are the only exceptions. The difference is that it is a real low chance of saving a building so most cities you capture are nearly empty. This is balance so that you cannot take over a city and immediately use it at a high efficiency.

Comment

In addition to National Wonders I believe all culture generating buildings are also destroyed automatically.
        "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Comment

Alright, I'm not a big conquerer, but the few times I tried yet I always needed a granary and then culture buildings for expansion.

clarkcd's post would explain for the second part.... and " The difference is that it is a real low chance of saving a building so most cities you capture are nearly empty." explains something...

BUT the final result in-game is still cities emptied of their structures! It could be half-efficient for a while I wouldn't mind but this way...
          Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

I find that large cities have tons of buildings in them when captured. Cultural buildings are always destroyed though. Just in my last game I captured Berlin and it had tons of buildings like forge, factory and such all in tact.

Comment

Working...
            X