Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never fight a land war in Asia......

Why?

and while were on the subject, "snacks are ok in moderation???"....very enligtening.

I like "don't bring a sword to a gun fight"

anyone else spotted the less than serious tips on the load screen?

And what's with the toothy smiles for a second when the negotiating window opens....me thinks someones not taking this very seriously lol.
    Last edited by CBR1100; January 1, 2006, 19:59.

The "Never fight a land war in Asia" quote is very serious... I strongly advise you to take it at heart.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

"The Princess Bride"

A good movie

Comment

A great movie. The first I bought when I got a dvd player years ago.
        But let's not forget that other bit of advice: "never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"
        The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

I tried fighting a land war as India in the world scenario and got wtfpwned. Next try I made friends and took my military frustrations out on Japanese island colonies, in the same game the Mongols tried to fight a landwar and got eliminated in a big fat dogpile. I think it's solid advice.

Comment

Re: Never fight a land war in Asia......

Originally posted by CBR1100
            anyone else spotted the less than serious tips on the load screen?
            They're all listed in the civilopedia somewhere.
            "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
            Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Oh Psssht. Just keep 2 Big Fat Stacks of Doom on the offense and 1 Big Stack (though not necessarily of doom) ready to retake the cities you lose, and you've got Land Wars pretty much covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                Oh Psssht. Just keep 2 Big Fat Stacks of Doom on the offense and 1 Big Stack (though not necessarily of doom) ready to retake the cities you lose, and you've got Land Wars pretty much covered.
                Lighten up.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                  Is this against wimpy computer players or in multiplayer games?
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                    The "Never fight a land war in Asia" quote is very serious... I strongly advise you to take it at heart.
                    As a side note, I once managed to win such a war: it was in Civ 1 and I had conquered Europe, Asia and Africa with the Romans (king level, I was at war with one civ or another from around 1000 BC to around 1800 AD).

I tried many times to repeat the feat, but I failed miserably, especially in Civ 3.
                    The monkeys are listening.

Comment

Re: Never fight a land war in Asia......

Originally posted by CBR1100
                      Why?
                      Hahaha... you FOOL! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never fight a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this:

Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!
                      ---
                      Pete
                      "If we get the transient facts, then we feel the info high."

Comment

"Don´t eat yellow snow!" Now that´s sound advice...
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Re: Re: Never fight a land war in Asia......

Originally posted by psiekier
                          Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!
                          What if you are also a Sicilian?
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

But Vizzini is a genius!! Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?

Morons!
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Danny di Vito

Also:

"Call the Brute Squad."
                              "He is the Brute Squad."

Comment

Working...
                              X