Catastrophic Failure on install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catastrophic Failure on install

So I got the game a few days ago and I read that this error could be caused by faulty CD's. I took back the game to Best Buy, 3 times before they decided to try and fix the problem. The Geek Sqad guy tried to update my drivers and stuff but my battery ran out. I brought the computer home and reinstalled all of my drivers, chipset, video, LAN, WiFi, DVD-ROM, DMI, and sound. After installing the drivers, I restarted and the same thing happens. I also have automatic updates running so Windows is current.
    The error occurs right after I put the second CD into the CD-ROM drive.
    I have a Toshiba M40 with Intel Centrino 760 processor, an Nvidia GeForce Go6600, 1 GB of DDR, 80 GB HDD with 16MB cache. I don't really know what else is pertenant, so if I forgot anything let me know.
    Attached Files

Re: Catastrophic Failure on Install

I've been looking for a fix for the same thing. I've swapped disks at Best Buy three times already, with no luck. The only thing I've found is that it's a bad disk 2 on the Civilization Fanatics forum.

Here's my system's info from dxdiag if anyone has any other ideas to the cause ?

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 1/22/2006, 11:54:43
    Machine name: DADSALIEN
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Alienware Corporation
    System Model: n/a
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Page File: 407MB used, 2057MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: RADEON 9700 PRO
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: RADEON 9700 PRO AGP (0x4E44)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E44&SUBSYS_00021002&REV_00
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (70Hz)
    Monitor: LG FLATRON L1920P(Digital)
    Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
    Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6587 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 1/4/2006 22:46:59, 252928 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 1/4/2006 22:46:40, 1420288 bytes
    -------------
    Sound Devices
    -------------
    Description: SB Audigy 2 Audio [FF00]
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_10021102&REV_04
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
    Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0444 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    Date and Size: 10/18/2004 15:21:24, 371376 bytes
    Driver Provider: Creative
    HW Accel Level: Full

Comment

I'm betting this has something to do with the SafeDisk 4 anti-copy technology that Civ4 uses.

By the way, Centrino isn't a processor. It's a wireless chipset.
      The Centrino 760 chipset features, among other things the Pentium M 760 processor; That's a 90nm processor running at 2 Ghz on a 533 FSB with processor throttling enabled("enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology" as Intel insists on calling it.)

Comment

3 sets of cds from Best Buy and no luck. There were 13 copies on the shelf on Saturday when I bought them, and 9 behind the customer service desk on the last swap out. Looks like they got a bad batch in their distribution system, as the first set of Circuit City disks I got worked like a charm (a helpful CC clerk suggested I bring the bad disks in as a non-working gift to exchange for new disks after hearing me ***** while browsing in
        the store).

Comment

Somebody in Take2's QA department should be kicked in head.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

that is really annoying - to buy a game with faulty discs :|
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I got the very same thing.
              Tried it on 3 different machines and they all fail immed upon clicking OK on the "insert Disk 2" prompt.

So all this time (Since you folks posted) and no word from the manuf. or their reps?

wonderful!

Comment

Here's the scoop, the "Catastrophic Failure" error is a result of a corrupt disk #2 from the company. This is of no fault of yours, yet you do need to return your game to the retail store you purchased it from for a new box set. The game doesn't have a lot number to identify which game has corrupt disks in them, yet you can determine the disk once you have it replaced.

Before leaving the store, open your game in view of customer service or a representative. Check on the inner ring of the disks, if I am correct the "good" disk will not have the same numbers on the inner-ring as the corrupted disk (lot number). This is what mine read, you can use this as a protocol.

Bad Disks: #1 - 7787511 R2N 01 IFPIL250 , #2 - 7787512 RERIR 01 IFPIL241

Good Disks:#1 - 77875-1.1V3 , #2 - 77875-1.2V3

Remember this will be embossed in the inner ring of the CD. If you check these before you leave the store you will not have to return to the store and do a trial-and-error to locate working disks.

Hope this helps..... Hax

Comment

Same problem exists with DVD version.

Comment

That could be just a bad DVD disc.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I took mine back to Best Buy, got a replacement (They wouldn't allow me to open the box there)

Replacement box had the same problem. I ended up with store credit.

Too bad, I had liked the Civ seriers, but no game is worth this crap.

Comment

Updating my DVD drive firmware fixed my problem - don't know if it would assist anyone else.

Comment

I can confirm Haxier's post. I swapped my disks out for ones that matched those serials numbers and it worked like a champ.

If you go some place like Gamestop that keeps the disks seperate from the box you can check them there in the store before they put them in the box and sell it to you.

Comment

Working...
                          X