Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I swap a GeForce MX 4000 for a Radeon 9550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I swap a GeForce MX 4000 for a Radeon 9550?

I got a new computer for Christmas, primarily so that I could play Civ4without tearing my hair out at the slowness (and so that I could even consider playing on a Large map).

The new computer had a GeForce MX 4000 128 Meg video card and I had terrible graphics problems even after updating drivers, etc.

I swapped out that video card with the video card that I had in my old PC and then everything worked fine. The video card in my old PC?
    ...GeForce MX 4000

So, I have Civ4 up and running now and the only significant problem that I have is when the terrain goes black every few hours, but as annoying as that is, rebooting fixes the problem and I can at least play the game.

The card that was supposed to come with the computer is a Radeon 9550 with 256 Meg of video memory. Should I grab the video card that was supposed to be in the computer and use that or should I stick with my GeForce MX 4000?

In particular, I'm looking for advice from anyone who has a Radeon 9950, but anyone with input is certainly welcome. I don't mind applying wierd fixes (unpack, turn off Antialiasing, etc) or downloading new drivers, but I would like the game to work well once I'm done.

Edit: I won't have to pay for the new card, just swap it with my dad since it's the card that was supposed to come with the computer in the first place.
    Last edited by popejubal; January 1, 2006, 14:19.

I recieved b0th Civ 4 and the Radeon card for Christmas and had no issues behond the render issue. Which the render issue only took me a hour to fix.

Comment

Working...
    X