MAJOR freezes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAJOR freezes

the following are freezes that occur in-game.

1. monitor turns to mainly red blocks of color all over, keyboard and mouse are unresponsive, only solution is to turn off power.

2. when hovering over some buttons to get extended info, a freeze occurs where the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive, and the computer must be powered down.

3. it cant be that my computers lacks the specs, one has a gig of memory and a 1year old vid card, the other is 3 or 4 years old, but at the time, some of the best things on the market went into it. nothing else i run on either of these computers (save the movies on the older one) has any of these problems. WHAT DO I DO, the patch did nothing!!!!

thank you
    i have visited you game site, please visit mine....

www.playnet.com

People need much more specific information than that to help you. Please post your processor, ram, specific video card, and operating system if you want help

Comment

both computers are different, but a good estimate is 2gig processor, 512mb ram on one computer, 1gig on the other, non-ddr ram both, and my older vid card is an asylum geforce fx 5200 128mb, both windows xp serpk2 with latest updates.
      i have visited you game site, please visit mine....

www.playnet.com

Comment

Ok...

Double check all your drivers. Uninstall your current NVidia drivers, restart, and install the latest ones

Make sure you installed DirectX 9 from the Civ4 cd. It's different from the versions you can download

A 2ghz processor should be able to run the game acceptably, so also check into other software issues: viruses, spyware, etc. As a last restart, I would try a reformat if you have the time for it. I know it's not something most people want to hear, but it's a pretty sure fix for software/driver issues

Other people will hopefully post other ideas, so hold off on the reformat if you're not comfortable doing that

Comment

Medic, I've had very similar issues to you (as well as the stuttering videos mentioned elsewhere on here). But the latest video drivers seemed to cure most of my problems.

(I'm new to civ4 but not to civ or PC repair)

I've a 2.7gzh processor with 1Gb Ram and an ati9600-128mb.

I had the red blocks mostly on interact with Leader screens, lock-ups occured at the same point as you.

Just installing the latest ATI drivers (i know you have nvidia, but it's the same symptoms)and catalyst (I didn't uninstall first) has cured most things.

I had one lock up since then and that was when the screen size in game was set to 768(ish, i can't remember exactly) when my monitor is set to 900. After Setting the game screen size to the windows size, I've not had a lock-up since.

The other threads about turning off ingame AA look useful, i'll try those when i get home!

Cheers

Denny

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre2th
            Make sure you installed DirectX 9 from the Civ4 cd.
            There's a newer version of DirectX 9 (d?) you can download from Microsoft.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
            X