Combat and promotions in 1.52?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat and promotions in 1.52?

Can anyone explain how combat works with the 1.52 patch? Combat is now based on max firepower? Is this damage or the "to hit" roll?

Does this mean that first strike is now only useful if it deals a killing blow?

I may be off, but let me see if I can provide a simple illustration. Take a tank at 50% health with no modifiers. Under the old system, it would hit with a strength of 14. Under the new system, it still hits with a strength of 28, though it still only needs to lose 50 hp to die. First strike can be effective in that it still reduces the amount of "good rolls" you need to kill the tank, but it no longer increases your chances of getting those good rolls by lessening the tank's strength.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

So the 50% health tank has the same "to hit" chance and "damage dealt" as a 100% tank?

Comment

That's my understanding from DeepO's posts here, yes.

Comment

I'd like to refer to the exchange between DeepO and Blake at the bottom of the first page in the "How will this change combat?" thread.

Blake stated: "The ODDS of winning a round are based on (start of battle) WOUNDED strength. The DAMAGE of winning a round (ie FIREPOWER) is based on MAX strength."

DeepO agreed.

The implication is that the term Firepower refers to the damage inflicted after winning a round of combat.

Comment

Gotcha. I hadn't seen Blake's results.

Comment

I've been experiencing some weird combat scenarios as of late under the new patch. If I have a unit that's twice the defender's max power (ie. Modern Tank versus Cavalry), I sometimes get a combat result where the tank survives with 15 hp or less.

Comment

Well concidering the possibility that any unit can defeat any other unit in the game, or leave it with any amount of HP left (within reason compaired to the attackers strength x # of hits) thats not so odd..

If it happens numerous times in a row thats getting a bit wierd..

But be sure when you're doing your experiements that every fight is seperate. If you reload a fight just to get numbers the data will be flawed because of how the game generates random numbers turns in advance.
                ~I like eggs.~

Comment

I am getting A LARGE number of 1 sided fights actually going against the strongest unit... Something got messed with in the patch that HURT the "tank vs spearman" feature they tried to implement.

I'm constantly loosing 2 to 1 odd fights, or leaving them with very few HPs.

Most recently i attacked a infantry unit in open ground. Arty unit #1 dies, thats expected. Arty unit #2 attacks half strength infantry and .... dies. arty unit #3 attacks less than half strength infantry and... dies.... WTF????
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Yea Hauptman I'm getting the EXACT same thing! I posted screenshots of my combat logs in the other thread where we were discussing this (AI combat and dice rolling)

I'll just post a link to the thread here:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=146545

Comment

Okay, I haven't played the game enough with the new patch to notice any patterns.
                      ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Working...
                      X