No announcement yet.

Marathon mode is excellent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They could make the modern age count in seasons instead of a year to avoid this problem (Spring 1989 --> summer 1989 --> fall 1989 --> etc)

didn't they do something like that in an XP to Civ2 or something?
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

• My first win on emperor was on marathon speed after 2 easily won marathon/monarch

I think that , apart from being my favourite game speed , marathon allowed me to climb a difficulty level and get more interesting games.

One other thing I have not seen mentionned in this thread is that food ressourcesare more "powerful" at marathon speed. As the surplus required for cities to grow is higher on marathon , a +5 food tile is a lot better than a regular +2.

My first win on emperor / marathon , playing Rome , my capitol site had 2fish,3crabs and 1 rice. Though I ran all game after health resources ( Rome had reach sometimes - 10 dur to lack of heatlh and still growing !! ) , those ressources made rome grow very fast t
      hus taking advantage of the high number of turns using more tiles than AI cities

Comment

• Originally posted by chiqss
        One other thing I have not seen mentionned in this thread is that food ressourcesare more "powerful" at marathon speed. As the surplus required for cities to grow is higher on marathon , a +5 food tile is a lot better than a regular +2.
        Yes, and hammer resources are more powerful because buildings are more expensive, and commerce resources are more powerful because research takes longer.

Comment

• artillery is needed for rocketry
          Arty is NOT needed for Rocketry, Dis. It is one of two pathways to Rocketry. The other is via Flight, IIRC.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nacht

Yes, and hammer resources are more powerful because buildings are more expensive, and commerce resources are more powerful because research takes longer.

you right , every advantage is increased but IMHO , as food surplus makes you use more tiles quicker , their advantage is even bigger...

Let's take my actual game small map / 6 civs / emperor / marathon. My capitol site has a rice ressource and a gold ressource ( and I'm Mao ou starts with Agriculture and mining
            ) . I immediatly start a worker ( 30 turns ) and then
            put a farm on the rice ( 15 turns ) and then mine the gold ( 12 turns )
            On turn 60 ( which is the time a city would take to reach size 2 ) I have a worker , a level 2 city still growing while using a gold mine
            then thanks to the gold mine I take the tech lead for the rest of the game ( I haven't finished yet but cultural victory is almost certain )

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian

Arty is NOT needed for Rocketry, Dis. It is one of two pathways to Rocketry. The other is via Flight, IIRC.

-Arrian
              really? I did not know that. Hmm, this could make me rethink my paths through the modern age now. I'll have to take another look at the tech tree.

Comment

• Originally posted by MasterDave
                I tried marathon once the night the patch came out. I chose a huge highlands map on Monarch level. I spent the next 30 turns moving my warrior around and pressing enter a lot, as it took 30 turns for the next warrior. Had my first warrior been eaten by a lion it would have been even more painfully slow. Anyhow, after I had managed to explore most of the map and had maybe a half dozen warriors and a worker built (25 turns to make a farm whee!), the barbarians started spawning four units per turn all around me. Soon all of my outlying warriors were dead, and it was still taking 15-20 turns to build new ones.

Needless to say, I was doomed. Also, the huge map was taking forever between turns (I have a new computer- 3.4 GHz 64 bit P4 and 4 GB RAM) . If I try marathon again, I will definitely not use a huge map. Overall, however, the pace was just painfully slow IMO. I do like the changes to the tech costs in normal and epic mode, and probably epic remains my favorite single player setting.
                What he said. Almost to the letter, only my system is Pentium D 3.0 with 1GB RAM, upgradable to 4.

Comment

• ouch - well will not go near it with my older beast then - thanks
                  Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                  I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Its nice to see people actually discussing history terms.

I think tho that there are 2 different meanings to the term *Dark Age*, because there have been 2 periodes in history that are labeled by this term.

The medieval period is usually called the *Dark Ages* for some reason im not sure off (not my focus of my study :P)... Prolly what one of the first posters said, because it was a *less* advanced and civilized society then the one before and after it (at least thats what the people who thought the term up came with a couple hundred years ago)

The argument that there wasnt enough material in the *Dark Ages* is valid, but it doesnt count for the medieval times but for the time when the *Sea Peoples* razed the Mediterranean and the Near East around 1000-800 BC. Certain civs died out because of a combination of conditions at that time and for archaeologists the short period after this the records are pretty blank (depending on the region) until the start of the Iron Age where more archaeological material starts to turn up again.

Im not like a TOTAL expert on this but it should be something like this if im not mistaken

EDIT: hmm seems i got an old dated link or something from the website coz i noticed alot more pages now on this topic and this prolly already was mentioned

EDIT2: and DAMN some of you guys make this game sound so easy... still having troubles actually planning stuff ahead... specializing towns and such
                    Last edited by RevMunky; March 23, 2006, 17:18.

Comment

• This used to happen to me all the time; pay attention to the date at the top left, which is day-month-year, in European fashion. Also, hit reload before you respond to a page, that way you ensure you get the latest comments. The posts are also numbered in the upper right. If you want to respond to post #24, but the thread is up to #60, hit "quote" first to get the other guy's comment you want to respond to, then everyone will know what you are talking about.

Pay attention to the page number of the thread listed at top and bottom of any page. If you are reading (and responding) on page three, but the thread shows there's four pages, your comment is going to post on the last page, regardless of what you are responding to. Again, the "quote" function is useful; people don't really mind if you're responding even to a much earlier comment, as long as they can figure out what you're responding to.

This thread hasn't been responded to in about a month and is probably dead. Apolyton removes them after a while if there are no further responses. On the other hand, occasionally a late comment, like yours, will revive a discussion.

I don't know what exactly you are responding to, I always thought there was one "Dark Ages" in Europe from about 500-1000 A.D., or somewhere around there.
                      History is kind of Eurocentric, because they, or their descendents (I am of European stock, born in the United States, third generation,) emerged on top geopolitically and pretty much technologically at the end of the various "ages of discovery." If there were "dark ages" elsewhere, in China, for instance, they are simply not acknowledged as such by mainstream historians.
                      Last edited by Generaldoktor; March 24, 2006, 13:47.
                      You will soon feel the wrath of my myriad swordsmen!

Comment

• Hehe on the first page the discussion about *Dark Ages* got started and my link on the civ4 website brought me there (so i assumed it was an up to date topic)

And i think the fact that most people dont know about a previous *Dark Age* term around 1000-800BC is because its more a term used by archaeologists that study the Mediterranean and the Near East region around that time period (european archaeologists too btw )

Comment

• Yeah, it's just not being taught that way, outside of archaeology, as far as I know. I do know a little bit about the Sea Peoples ravages; I know they ended one Egyptian dynasty, for one. So I believe you.

You might like Thamis variant for Civ3, "Ancient Mediterranean," which has its own board at Apolyton and can be downloaded from there, or maybe you've played it. It's actually possible in that, (if you haven't tried it,) to play the "Sea Peoples" as well as other cool Ancient Civs like Goths or Nubians. I had a blast with it, before Civ4 came out. He's trying to make a Civ4 version, but I don't think it will turn out as well, Civ3 was the real generals' game, in spite of what they're trying to do with the new Civ4 expansion and warfare is what the ancient world was all about, real time.
                          You will soon feel the wrath of my myriad swordsmen!

Comment

• Pardon the possible stupidity of this question but does Marathon mode basically mean you get more turns in the game? Im really enjoying a normal speed game just now but its running out of turns all too quickly.

Comment

• You get more turns to play, but it also takes longer to research and build
                              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAbstract
                                Pardon the possible stupidity of this question but does Marathon mode basically mean you get more turns in the game? Im really enjoying a normal speed game just now but its running out of turns all too quickly.
                                Civ IV is a great game, eh? My last game was on Marathon and it was my first Marathon game. Oddly enough, I still ran out of turns too soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X