Printing press?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please note:

as with all manuals, they're written and released independant of the people who are actually making the product (in this case, the game)... it's even worse with software, as that tends to change alot.

I've seen at least one manual where the SW people switched what ICONS they were using (some swapped out, and some changed within the program) and the manual was then completely useless...

as for translating manuals... they are rarely seen by the people making the product (some PM somewhere sent it out, but didn't check with the design team), and those making the product tend no to be able to read whatever language it was translated into, and therefor wouldn't know if it was written badly in the first place.

Comment

Well, having the coders translating their own game leads to famous sentences like "all your base are belong to us". So I guess it's not a bad thing that they let a 3rd party do that.

That does not mean that they should do it badly though

Comment

One funny thing in the german translation is the power (or elektriziaets(=electricity)) graph...

Comment

There's one glaring error in the manual in the main pages, apprently they increased the power of the barracks from 2 to 4 and it made the appendix but not the earlier section.

The tech tree poster has an error in Scientific Method over the wonder it obsoletes. [It's the Great Library that it obsoletes and not Great Lighthouse]

It's also apprent that no one proof checked the back of the poster; look at the second half of the resources and many of the rows of data are not in the correct column.

It also apears that in the chart Chemistry and Rifing had their tech prices swaped. Not to mention that the two patches between them have invalidated the tech prices of just about every second half tech along with a few other changes.

Really the only things useful in the manual are the poster [once you manally update it] and the appendix [once you manually update and extend it to add an obsolete row on the wonders]

You should be able to get an acceptable unoffical version of either of those on either this site or CivFanatics.

BTW, any mod that sees this, please move this thread to either the general or help forum; this isn't about the in game tech of the same name as the title as the thread.
          Last edited by joncnunn; December 29, 2005, 22:35.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Mea culpa for placing the thread in the wrong place!

Based on the comments above, I'm not too disappointed about not getting the manual - although from the explanations above the entire process does seem a bit "Dilbertesque".

As to SA, we are experiencing the national tragedy of crime and education and it is nice to have a game that allows you to purchase viable education (although I don't know if I've ever built a Gaol). A further tragedy is losing to the Australians at Cricket (if you're not from a civilization/culture that understands Cricket, don't worry, it's a rather specific colonial sort of thing)!

I wonder if we can translate the game into another of our (eleven) official languages? Although I am glad to see we have Shaka in the HoF, he seems to have fallen off the choices of civs.
            Have guns. Will travel. +27123150425

Comment

Working...
            X