barracks icons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barracks icons?

It seems to me that in civ3, your city information on the map would include an icon for whether you had a barracks or airport and maybe certain other improvements in that city. Am I just blind, or has that very handy information not been implemented in civ4?

the harbor has one, but I don't think there is one for the barracks.

Comment

Are you talking about graphics on the map itself or around that black cityname button?
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

You don't need icons for buildings in Civ IV because you can zoom in and see the individual buildings right there on the map. You do need to know which building is which though... Build a barracks in a new city and zoom in to see what it looks like. I love the rendering of things right on to the map - especially the combat air patrols.

Comment

A special barracks icon in Civ4 would be much less valuable than it was in Civ3, because in Civ4 you don't need a barracks to upgrade your units.

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
            A special barracks icon in Civ4 would be much less valuable than it was in Civ3, because in Civ4 you don't need a barracks to upgrade your units.
            but when deciding to build military units, you obviously want to build them in the city with barracks

Comment

Originally posted by SingleShot
              You don't need icons for buildings in Civ IV because you can zoom in and see the individual buildings right there on the map. You do need to know which building is which though... Build a barracks in a new city and zoom in to see what it looks like. I love the rendering of things right on to the map - especially the combat air patrols.
              maybe I'm not seeing something. I can zoom in pretty far, but I can't see any individual buildings. Am I doing something wrong?

here's a screenshot of a city with a barracks. How can I tell if it has a barracks?
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

maybe I'm not seeing something. I can zoom in pretty far, but I can't see any individual buildings. Am I doing something wrong?

here's a screenshot of a city with a barracks. How can I tell if it has a barracks?

I am not 100% sure, but I think that is your barracks. I'm at work now and can't check, but I think I noticed something similar in my games.
                Attached Files
                The monkeys are listening.

Comment

Yes, that is a barracks. The market (with the blue stripes) is on the east corner, and I believe that's a library (3 arced roofs) on the west corner.

I'm sorry, folks. I really think y'all are spending too much time rushing through your turns and not enough LOOKING at the game! ALL the buildings you build are displayed, not that I can identify every one. Discovered what the Hermitage looks like in my last game.

Comment

Yup - all buildings get displayed. The Airport looks kinda funny when displayed on a mountain tile.

Comment

Not to mention the aquaduct.
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I do rush my games, I don't like to spend a lot of time zooming in and out.

Comment

I once played an OOC where I set myself up with Floodplains Rivered Grassland and all the resources around my city.
                          The city itself covered about 9 tiles, but it did indeed have everything!

Comment

Working...
                          X