No announcement yet.

where does all her culture come from ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why don't you just RAZE Yaroslavl if you don't like wasting 2 artists in Moscow?
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

2nd and most probably more important issue:

your 'winning' screen doesn't work the way you think it does.

the Americans are there for the 3 cities in Cultural victory. not the Russians. therefore you don't know the value of the cities close to Moscow. It could be that there's a really high value one, but for some reason (you taking moscow) the Americans are closer to the win there.

3rd. there very well could be more cities very close to moscow other than the 1 you see. then the culture of more than 1 city is affecting each square. etc.

scout south and east to see what's there.

Comment

this mod will help you understand what's going on. you might want to download it.

it is also contained in this good modpack

Comment

Also don't forget. Moscow probably has like 99% russian, and 1% your empire. So basically, you can't overpower a Russian culture with a mostly russian city.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake

Culture builds up on tiles, so if Moscow had a lot of russian culture, say 20,000 - it's as if there is still a 20,000 culture russian city influencing those tiles. But it's an odd kind of "virtual culture influence", it only works if the tile is within the radius of a REAL city.
            Blake thanks , this is making sense. It answers my not-understanding.

Originally posted by MadDjinn
            2nd and most probably more important issue:

your 'winning' screen doesn't work the way you think it does.

the Americans are there for the 3 cities in Cultural victory. not the Russians. therefore you don't know the value of the cities close to Moscow. It could be that there's a really high value one, but for some reason (you taking moscow) the Americans are closer to the win there.
            You are right there, thanks too !

Originally posted by BlueO
            Also don't forget. Moscow probably has like 99% russian, and 1% your empire. So basically, you can't overpower a Russian culture with a mostly russian city.
            Is that true ? Is cultural influence really dependent on the population of the city and not only on who controls it ?

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
            why don't you just RAZE Yaroslavl if you don't like wasting 2 artists in Moscow?
            Thats beside the point but here are the reasons:
            * Wars cost ressources. I am behind on tech in this game so should rather concentrate on that.
            * Wars make people unhappy. The faster I could have had peace with Russia the faster I would get rid of unhapiness in other cities.
            * There is most likely going to start a war in the West, I need the units there.
            * If I keep a Russian city in this continent I can easily put pressure on the Russians to get some money from time to time. IMHO the AI gives in easier to demands when they see a huge force close to their borders ?
            * Yaroslavl is too close to Moscow, so it doesnt gain me anything to conquer it.
            * On higher difficulty levels like with all Civ games before in general wars must be short and effective, otherwise you go down.

-------------------------
            Anyway, back to the topic.

Why have the influence for each tile be built up in the first place. Wouldnt it have been more intuitive if the influence just depends on the current situation ?

And if we accept that influence should be built up, then the current rules are inconsistent. Why does the influence disappear when all cities in reach are raced ? There is no reason why the suburbs arnt still Russian. Of course that would be even harder to explain to players because one would see "border artefacts" .. culture of a civ possibly destroyed completely.

It feels strange that whether the cultural influence disappears completely or not should depend on whether another city is in reach.

But now that I know how it works thats fine, I can adjust to it .

Comment

Another aspect of this game issue is that starving the pop in a captured city in order to reduce cultural problems no longer works. In some cases, the population that grows back under your rule has the same culture as the pop you've eliminated and can be just as much a problem as the original pop despite that they 'grew up' under your rule.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Also it seems that on the East of the lake south of Moscow there is another powerful city. Part of the culture comes from it. The combination of two or three coties, although individually gives not enough culture, combined can really be a problem.

Comment

Yaroslavl is too close to Moscow, so it doesnt gain me anything to conquer it.
                  it will gain you a mess of squares around moscow that are presently russian. take yaroslavl.

oh, and if you don't mind, upload the savegame. i'd kinda like to see it myself.
                  it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

to give some graphical additions to the points for built up culture on tiles:

the following 3 images are from a current war I'm having against Isabella in the AU100 map. (since alot of ppl have played it, it will be somewhat familiar to most)

Overview of the border region:

there is a fair amount of overlap of cultural influence across the different civ's in the area.

Most notable for your questions though:

3 tiles to the east of Atlanta is the ruins of Isabella's city:

this city was destroyed a few turns ago, but the area around it is still affected by the culture that was produced there. I had culturally pushed right against the city tile before attacking, so had use of alot of the squares in cultural contention. and when I razed the city, Atlanta's influence pushed it's cultural borders right to the sea.

Boston's culture is 1600 and Atlanta's is 1700.

I also just took Seville, so the area near it is no longer under direct cultural influence of Isabella, but (looking at the first map) is still culturally affected by her.

Also, if you notice on the first map that Philadelphia and area seems to be heavily contested by Genghis (brownish), but actually, I've taken much of the land in that area, and am likely going to flip Ning-hsia soon (52% Mongolian and dropping)

Comment

Working...
                    X