Help with Noble!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Noble!!

n00b here! I did play a little of Civ3, but now I have been playing a game in noble difficulty in Civ4 (my second game, got bored of the first one in chieftain) and am at the bottom of the scores list now ^_^. I lost my first settler to a panther and a few of my warriors to barbarians. I didn't build enough cities as well, 3 so far. Thought all citi squares were used but just found out only the 'Fat Cross' 2nd level is used for ANY city . Now I'm in trench warfare mode with the Japs, plan to go military. Any idea what would be best to do in this situation? I'm not creating any wonders either, I can't afford mistakes.

Oh and by the way there is a Civ4 yahoo group and you might want to join it.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/civilizationfour

i just recently graduated to noble, and am evenly matched with teh AI and i find that you have to show that you have military power. to be confident of your abilty to quikly produce units is NOT eenough. if you are below mid range on the power score (f10 i think) you are likely ti be attacked.

General tips:

barbs are much more aggressive, you MUST protect setlers and workers(outside of city radius)

you dont NEED more that 5 cities, too many will get you bogged down in maintenance fees, too few and your gunna be too weak

never start a land war in aisa

NEVER atack a city without siege weapons

use cottages alot,

roads dont increase commerse, so you dont have to put them everywhere

rivers act as trade routes

in war, build fast units and pillage, pillage, pillage. ( watch out for this from AI though)

Have fun

if its to hard, play on warlord!

but most of all have fun!

Comment

First off, read the Vel's strategy threads here. Also the 'Great Prophets' and 'OCC' threads as they all contribute to your understanding of the mechanics needed to do well. You need a good sense of what to research, when and why. You also need way more military than you would think. Beelining to certain techs and then tech trading is the only way to stay in the game. Most of wardhali's advice is good except that elephants overcome a lot it if you get them early. Oh, and only pillage as a last resort. It is far better to take over the enemy's cities with the infrastructure in place, and you make so little money from pillaging, that it is only useful to slow him down when you have insufficient resources to actually take over his cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Crossfire
        First off, read the Vel's strategy threads here. Also the 'Great Prophets' and 'OCC' threads as they all contribute to your understanding of the mechanics needed to do well. You need a good sense of what to research, when and why. You also need way more military than you would think. Beelining to certain techs and then tech trading is the only way to stay in the game. Most of wardhali's advice is good except that elephants overcome a lot it if you get them early. Oh, and only pillage as a last resort. It is far better to take over the enemy's cities with the infrastructure in place, and you make so little money from pillaging, that it is only useful to slow him down when you have insufficient resources to actually take over his cities.
        i usually find myself outmatched militarily, (and i assumed he had the same problem), so i usually run for his heartland and pillage away, forcing him to come to the table and make peace. BUT if you do have a sufficiently powerfull millitary, absolutely dont pillage, OTOH if you designate a few cities for capture, you can leave thse alone and loot the rest of it.

its all a matter of how you play, and what kind of a war your fighting.

Comment

1. rule dont build setler and worker until the population is 3 and in further if a city groves in one turn also do wait 1 turn (build something else), then choop some treese to get some production

2. If going to war, mathematics could be the one to take the cities, and upgrade the catapult for colateral damage(at least 2),.... and when u are close to city just click the red cross,... and u can lower the DEFENCE, if u are planing to take over the city, but remember if u aint got enough money dont take over the city,...YES pillage and destroy,... or take over and send some misionaries,....

3.use special units with any civ u have,....

4. If a city is on hill and if there is a hill close to cit, ATTACT from there,.... hils are defensive so do use them,

and your cities should be also on hills for defense if possible,.........

5. Money, money, and money

6. Science, science and science

Comment

Working...
          X