The Math and Mechanics of Civ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Math and Mechanics of Civ

Not understanding the inner-workings of the game can hurt when trying to optimize strategies, so here are some links explaining mechanics of the game, that will hopefully save one some time, and let you make a better decision in a future civ game. Many of you already know this stuff, and yes, I'm just copy and pasting the best articles of a certain other civ site, but it's nice to have all of this stuff in one place. For those of you who don't leave apolyton, I strongly suggest you take a look. Just kind of surprised that the posters I most respect here (from lurking) did not seem to know these fundamental pieces of information.

Listed in order of importance/ease of understanding (IMHO):

City Upkeep Explained: How much gold is added to maintenance based on the number of cities you have, and distance from capital. There are other considerations, this article does not take those into account.

Unit Maintenance Explained: Pretty self-explanatory.

Research Explained: Describes how many beakers one needs to gather a required technology. And yes, it does change.

GPP explained: Explains likelihood of your next Great Person being a certain type.

Combat Explained: Self-explanatory, enlightening with discussion of "break points."

Civic Upkeep Explained: Confusing, lots of math, but again, important.

Hurry Production costs: The amount of gold/population one needs to rush a building.

Forest Chop Grids: How many hammers you get per forest chop.

Diplomacy Benefits: What the AI puts on that +/- list describing what they think of you.

GPP Explained: Explains how a city producing 3 GPP a turn will not produce a great person if other cities are GP Factories. Math-intensive.
    Last edited by lastchance; December 24, 2005, 06:08.

Great material, and it'll save me a lot of research time!

This one should definitely be topped!

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Yeah, those CFC articles are good. Thanks for posting those, Lastchance, it's about time we had some links to them from here.

Comment

I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

/kowtow LastChance
          Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Comment

Bump

Comment

Quendelie axan!

Comment

Working...
              X