first game report and a couple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first game report and a couple questions

Ok so just finished my first game on Noble duel map with otherwise normal settings. Domination victory playing as the romans ended up fighting Mao ze dong (computers choice not mine).

Anyway, very very great game good work Fraxis Still think I may like AC better but I'm more of a sci-fi kind of person than a hisotrical person anyway. Wow people were right when they said that wining by conquest is more difficult. Not only have the defense values for being in a city been beefed up but no matter what civic you are running you get war weariness which since it wasn't explained anywhere that I could find I was not prepared for. As well who would have thought that to reduce war weariness you need to research representation and build jails....in the past you didn't get war weariness unless you were running a representative government right?? Since I hadn't played Civ III the culture aspect took me awhile to get used to as well. Though it is possible on a duel map and maybe a tiny one to win through conquest or domination I don't think it will be possible on a Huge map at nobel level or above..

For the questions, didn't know until I saw it here that there was a special edition..what is the difference should I return my copy and get the special edition (can it still be found?)

Is the ending any different for the domination or the conquest victory? The domination ending though short was quite nice!

How hilarious is it that the bottom leadership value is Dan Quale...wonder if anyone outside of America is going to know who that is..? Also has anyone figured out what scores each of the leaders correspond to? How high of a score do you have to get to reach Ceaser?

May open a can of worms here but for single player what are considered to be the best mods for single player that have been developed so far?

Thanks!
    A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

couple more questions..

Is it possible to give a civ you are at war with a truce but ask for a tech or money to give it? Even if I remove the enforced peace treaty and click on a tech or gold on his side it brings up ten years of enforced peace..

Also the AI once broke an enforced peace treaty (I recieved a message that the treaty had been removed) how exactly does this happen is it something I can do..?

Thanks

Comment

Re: first game report and a couple questions

Originally posted by dacole
      How hilarious is it that the bottom leadership value is Dan Quale...wonder if anyone outside of America is going to know who that is..?
      Thanks!
      Assuming you mean Dan Quayle then no I have never heard of him (before just looking him up on Wikipedia) so would some nice American care to explain the joke?
      "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
      Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Assuming you mean Dan Quayle then no I have never heard of him (before just looking him up on Wikipedia) so would some nice American care to explain the joke?
        Dan Quayle was the Vice-President under the first President Bush, and was widely ridiculed for being young and inexperienced (especially by contrast with the elder Bush, who had served in such diverse positions as Ambassador to China and head of the CIA before becoming Reagan's VP), and for having the IQ score of a meat thermometer.

In fact, he wasn't as stupid as people made him out to be, if for no other reason than the fact that no one is as stupid as he was made out to be; but, like all public goofballs who become famous for saying rock-stupid things, he began, over time, to accumulate a sedimentary layer of apocryphal misstatements to add to his all too many real misstatements (the same effect can be seen with both the current President Bush and with celebrities such as Jessica Simpson, who have said so many stupid things in their careers that no one thinks to doubt any new stupid statement which is attributed to them).

Quayle, plucked from obscurity by Bush, served one term as Bush's VP, and then vanished utterly back into obscurity once that term ended with the election of Bill Clinton. Had Bush not intervened, Quayle would probably have had a long career as a non-entity "back-bencher" in Congress, rather than being the subject of numerous jokes from back in the heady days when we were still able to laugh at the idea of having an incompetent buffoon in the White House.

Comment

Dan Quayle was the first President Bush's Vice President (1989-1992), and was widely regarded as an idiot.

A collection of Dan Quayle quotes, starting with my personal favorite. These aren't necessarily his "best", just the first web page that popped up on a google search of "dan quayle quotes".

Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe.

What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is. (Particularly funny, given that by the time he said this, he had already aquired his reputation as a buffoon)

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls.

I have made good judgements in the Past. I have made good judgements in the Future.

I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix. (Phoenix is not in California)

If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.

Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child. (eewww, kinky)

The American people would not want to know of any misquotes that Dan Quayle may or may not make.

The future will be better tomorrow.

We don't want to go back to tomorrow, we want to go forward.

We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe.

We're all capable of mistakes, but I do not care to enlighten you on the mistakes we may or may not have made.

Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts.

When I have been asked during these last weeks who caused the riots and the killing in L.A., my answer has been direct and simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame. Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame.

[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system.

Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.

One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.

Illegitimacy is something we should talk about in terms of not having it.

I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change.

Murphy Brown is doing better than I am. At least she knows she still has a job next year.

The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century.

Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children.

We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world.

We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur.

For NASA, space is still a high priority.

Public speaking is very easy.

I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.
          Last edited by gilfan; December 24, 2005, 06:30.
          If you're not a rebel at 20 you have no heart. If you're still a rebel at 30 you have no brain.

Comment

War weariness can be eliminated if you need to... police state civic,jail in cities, mt rushmore national wonder.

Amazon still has some collector's edition, the main useful thing that you'd get from it is a poster that has a lot of info summarized on it, like a flow chart for all unit promotions, a breakdown of every tile improvement and what techs affect them, etc.

the peace treaty expires after 10 turns, that's the message you got. neither you nor the ai can end it before 10 turns is up

only peace treatys allow you to offer or demand something (like a tech or money). you can't get anything from just a cease fire.

i like the blue marble terrain mod, i think it's worth your time. it's just new graphics for terrain. I also used the improved domestic advisors by homegrown or requies, but i haven't played since the patch, and i understand they have been improved by the latest patch. go to civfanatics forums, completed mods forum, and sort by the "stars" column
            If you're not a rebel at 20 you have no heart. If you're still a rebel at 30 you have no brain.

Comment

I got a crappy small box with 1 DVD, said big poster and a manual. I find it hard to believe that I got a "Collectors Edition" by swaggering into EB and asking for a copy of Civ 4.
              But still ... stranger things have happened.

Comment

Re: Re: first game report and a couple questions

Originally posted by Axxaer

He actually ran for president once in the primary and got no where. One of the bigest goofs he made wasn't really a goof he was helping a kid spell potato and he added an e on the end. In some parts of the country this is actually how they spell it, though it isn't considered the "proper" spelling.

For a game that went out of it's way not to annoy anyone I was surprised they had anyone who was still alive on that list, especially on the bottom. (though I hearily agree and would ridiule them if they changed it..)

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                  I got a crappy small box with 1 DVD, said big poster and a manual. I find it hard to believe that I got a "Collectors Edition" by swaggering into EB and asking for a copy of Civ 4.
                  But still ... stranger things have happened.

I thought the poster was CE only, but I could be wrong. If so, then I can't think of anything else in the CE box I use.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: first game report and a couple questions

Originally posted by dacole
                    For a game that went out of it's way not to annoy anyone I was surprised they had anyone who was still alive on that list, especially on the bottom. (though I hearily agree and would ridiule them if they changed it..)
                    Let me guess, that's the proper spelling in some parts of the country, right? =D

Comment

The best collection of mods I've seen is one done by Sevo. I think you can only find it over at civfanatics right now though as he just put it together. Nothing over the top, just alot of classy mods. Note: It probably won't work with the new patch anyway :P
                      ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: first game report and a couple questions

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova

Let me guess, that's the proper spelling in some parts of the country, right? =D
                        heh no...that's just my quick typing..

Comment

Working...
                        X