No announcement yet.

Patch: Leave forests but not cottages??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patch: Leave forests but not cottages??

Patch is great overall but having workers leave forests while still able to level cottages makes the automate workers option still useless. Weak. That's my only gripe. Thank you.

There is another option for workers to leave existing improvements. I've never spotted an automated worker tearing down an existing improvement with this on. In fact they will even leave city ruins as it sees it as an improvement. So I've had to manually build on those squares. 1.52 makes automated workers more usefull as I don't have to babysit them until lumbermills can be built.

Comment

I am very pleased with the no chop setting too. It is something that many of us have asking for since release, and it looks like Firaxians really do pay attention to us. In fact a lot of the changes in the patch are items that we have been specifically asking for. Soren posting under the patch thread is cool too. Many kudos for Firaxians for actually listening to their audience.

...Insert buttkissing emoticon with santa hat here...

When I get home tonight, I will test to see if the no chop and no replace improvements settings work together as advertised. If they do, then I will be more than happy to automate workers in most of my games after the first few cities are up and running.
      "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

I never automate them anyway, but it's good to see those with limited time now have less matters to worry about.

Comment

Early in the game I'll even build cottages on resources that require calander (or monarchy for wine) as the ammount of gold those squares produce (espcecially being financial) is a very good way to start the game. The automated workers I had going later in the game left them as is and didn't plop plantations down on my fully grown towns. I usually leave the towns but make sure I have at least one of the resources for my own civ.

I usually still don't automate until railroad as I don't want to have to mess with doing that manually. Early in the game it is best not to automate IMO so you can be sure to build the improvements you need the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver14
            Early in the game I'll even build cottages on resources that require calander (or monarchy for wine) as the ammount of gold those squares produce (espcecially being financial) is a very good way to start the game.
            Yeah, that popped up in my head too last week.
            The better if those specials are in forested terrain. You have to chop those anyway so can use them for the early production rush before calender comes around.
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

The problem is for people who want to automate and can't because workers will tear down cottages.

Comment

Originally posted by mgdpublic
                The problem is for people who want to automate and can't because workers will tear down cottages.
                Check the "Workers leave improved tiles alone" box then...
                Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Comment

With that box checked I've never seen automated workers tear down cottages or other improvements that were built.

Comment

Hurhur, you're still relying on sid's tips.

Comment

Heathen, Sids tips are the way to enlightenment.

-6: "We are upset that you have fallen under the sway of a heathen religion."
                      +1: "We appreciate the years you have supplied us with funny although at times useless posts."

Last edited by Silver14; December 23, 2005, 22:00.

Comment

Ah ok. Let me be more clear. I would like the new "leave forest" option for cottages as well ("leave cottages"). That way I could automate my workers to change things like farms
                        and mines to windwills/waterwills/woodmills, etc.. as the techs come along without letting them tear down fully grown towns for something.

Comment

-6: "We are upset that you have fallen under the sway of a heathen religion."
                          +1: "We appreciate the years you have supplied us with funny although at times useless posts."
                          Well, can ya trade Monotheism or Buddhism to me so I can get out a few missionaries for Enigmism?

Comment

Originally posted by mgdpublic
                            Ah ok. Let me be more clear. I would like the new "leave forest" option for cottages as well ("leave cottages"). That way I could automate my workers to change things like farms
                            and mines to windwills/waterwills/woodmills, etc.. as the techs come along without letting them tear down fully grown towns for something.
                            Then the workers would tear down the windmills to build lumbermills to build farms to build mines to build watermills ....

....just check the option ... and manually control a few workers to build WHAT YOU WANT, then you don't have to worry about anything, worker-wise...
                            Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Comment

Early in the game it is best not to automate IMO so you can be sure to build the improvements you need the most.
                              I agree. I tried the automation once and I didn't like the choices the Worker was making. I had to redo several squares before I cancelled his orders. It would nice to have more control like being able to tell him to only irrigate floodplains, or only build Mines etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X