Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rip Van Winkle wakes up from a long civ2 game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rip Van Winkle wakes up from a long civ2 game...

Hey, I've pretty much been out of the civ loop since civ2, but I also played a spot of Call to Power. Is civ4 (god, it feels weird typing that) at the same level of addictiveness and replayability as civ2?

Something that I always admired about civ2 is how open the game was as to how to play it, and I was wondering if the addition of all the things to the civ2 model pigeonhole your playing strategies. Do you feel that you have a lot of flexibility in your playing styles, or does the game force you to go through rote operations?

Read Yin´s review. It pretty much says it all. Yin was one of the hardest critics of Civ 3, just because it wasn´t as good as Civ 2.

IMO it´s a really great game, and it´s getting even better with the new patches. The latest one released today btw
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Its no less open than Civ2, imo, but as with all such games people find a 'best' way to do certain things. There is certainly very few restrictions and I think you will enjoy the game if you enjoyed Civ2.
      "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
      Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Re: Rip Van Winkle wakes up from a long civ2 game...

Originally posted by CGI_santa_pants
        Hey, I've pretty much been out of the civ loop since civ2, but I also played a spot of Call to Power. Is civ4 (god, it feels weird typing that) at the same level of addictiveness and replayability as civ2?
        I've only had the game for a day so far but IMO it's the best version of Civ yet. There's so many options to pursue, and ways of doing things. After a couple of expansions, this is going to be an awesome game.

Comment

Wow, William sure made a big typo.
          He spelled "Revenue Raiser" as "Game".

Comment

They´re not mutually exclusive you know

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
              They´re not mutually exclusive you know
              if they were we would not have any games - and that my friend would be like living in a world with out steak, whiskey, and boobs.

Comment

Originally posted by kseecs16

if they were we would not have any games - and that my friend would be like living in a world with out steak, whiskey, and boobs.
                I reject such a place.
                Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Comment

I have played every Civ game since the beginning, and I have really enjoyed Civ 4 tremendously since day one. So far, I would have to say that they have learned from the past, and that the gameplay of Civ4 is my favoirite of the series so far.

However, the game is still relatively new, and I will reserve final judgement until the "newness" wears off a few months from now. Then I will be able to more objectively compare it with Civ2 (my previous favorite of the franchise).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with EARNING money by producing a product that delivers value (such as Civ 4). Considering all of the hours I have sunk into the game already, the $50 I spent in October is nothing. I consider those entertainment dollars some of the best I have spent all year. Firaxis deserves whatever "revenue" they can raise from their work creating the game.
                  "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Don't forget, in the end, it's all about money.
                    The people who work at firaxis have a job to create a game, while maintaining a great reputation that allows them to sell lots more games.
                    See?

Comment

Yes, but by making a piss poor game you pretty much screw up your chances to sell the sequel and other games. Great reputation can only be recieved by making great games.
                      See?

Comment

Degeneration into inane discussion.

I have to say that Firaxis has done right by the patches.

Comment

Patch 1.52 is a brilliant patch, especially as regarding multiplayer - such a nice Christmas present.

Comment

Degeneration into inane discussion.
                            When a thread degenerates, blame Enigma - he's usually the cause.
                            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
                              Yes, but by making a piss poor game you pretty much screw up your chances to sell the sequel and other games. Great reputation can only be recieved by making great games.
                              See?
                              You should read the second half of my post before replying.

When a thread degenerates, blame Enigma - he's usually the cause.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X