Keeping AI from finishing spaceships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping AI from finishing spaceships

I've mostly been playing on Noble, and at that level I find that the AI is really stupid when it comes to finishing the spaceship.

In my last game, I played as Russia and was the second most powerful civ.
    Cyrus of Persia had been just a bit ahead of me all the time (the score was pretty even but he had a small advantage in technology). When he started building spaceship parts like a madman, I decided to invade him instead of trying to catch up (I doubt that would even have been possible).
    So I started churning out troops while he kept finishing the spaceship even faster than I had expected.
    when I had a few turns left until I felt ready to invade I sneaked a few spies into his land, and found out that he had 2 turns left on his last SS component, and I was a bit short of the money to even try to sabotage it.
    Of course, I launched my invasion a bit prematurely and razed 2 of his cities the first turn, 2 more the turn after. My old-time friend Hatshepsut of Egypt immediately declared war (defensive pact) and I retaliated by nuking three of her best cities.

Anyway, the turn after my invasion, stupid Cyrus was building mech. inf instead of finishing his SS Life Support. I crushed both Hathepsut's and Cyrus' armies in the field, and continued razing his cities. After ten turns or so I had also saved some money and felt it was time to make peace and recuperate. Both Cyrus and Hathepsut paid me ridiculous tributes to make peace, and I used this money to sabotage the Life Support that he now started building again. At the same time I was amassing troops for my second invasion.
    When the 10 turn peace treaty was over, Cyrus had 4 turns left on the Life Support. I invaded again with an even larger army than the first time, and this time Hatshepsut did not join him. Of course he changed to building units again instead of trying to finish it. In the end I managed to wipe him out except for some junk cities on small islands, and I won a score victory.

Is the AI this stupid when it comes to finishing spaceships on higher difficulties too? Cyrus was one turn away from winning the game. He would have won if he had just continued building his spaceship instead of switching to some lousy mech. inf!

I have also won a space race in another game by just declaring war at a superior opponent that would have finished it faster. Instead the opponent invaded me and I started to slowly lose cities. I lost perhaps 1/4 of my cities, but the rest of them finished the spaceship in time and got me the win. This opponent would also have won if they had just ignored me and kept building their spaceship.

You took a BIG risk by making peace. What if your spy sabatoge failed? You would have lost because you couldn't have gone to war due to the peace treaty. Personally I've never had a sabatoge of a component succeed, I fail every time, losing thousands of gold.

Comment

I have sabotaged a late SS part before. And I pillaged all the mines off the map and won the space race I otherwise would have lost. Other times I just sabotage the other guys aluminum mine over and over and it takes him twice as long to build most SS parts and I can win. I rarely resort to attacking as I feel espionage is more effective if carried out soon enough.

Comment

The AI only cursorily goes for the win... It's programmed with what it needs to do..... it's not cutthroat like a human player... You invaded...it felt threatened. It was not capable of making the connection that it was 2 turns from ending the game, because it's not programmed to think that way... It's programmed to expand and win along the way, not to winwinwinwin...

I usually don't go for the invasion in that situation anyway --- I'll send nukes (not spies) to blow up aluminum mines
        Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Comment

That is another example why leaving SS construction to city governer AI alone is a bad idea. I'm certain that thodr behaviors will be changed once the SDK release.

Comment

You took a BIG risk by making peace. What if your spy sabatoge failed? You would have lost because you couldn't have gone to war due to the peace treaty.
            Yeah, in fact it was a mistake (=
            I intended to make a cease fire and clumsily accepted the peace treaty instead..
            But I felt I had things under control. My scotland yard-city producing 1 spy every turn or so, and I had 12000 gold and was making 1000 each turn (all research was finished at this point). I actually managed three sabotages before the 10 turns were over. It succeeded in maybe 1 out of 4 tries or so. I was also sabotaging mines and aluminium of course.. but that just delays the spaceship, doesn't stop it.

Anyway, I don't feel you even need an invasion to stop them. If you are not that strong, just mass up the troops you need for a defensive war and declare war. But it's almost an exploit IMHO.

Comment

Re: Keeping AI from finishing spaceships

Originally posted by Bonga
              My old-time friend Hatshepsut of Egypt immediately declared war (defensive pact) and I retaliated by nuking three of her best cities.
              I think you should have nuked Cyrus' spaceship part building city instead. Sending one nuke might not do the trick, sending three on the other hand...
              Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

I think you should have nuked Cyrus' spaceship part building city instead. Sending one nuke might not do the trick, sending three on the other hand...
                But why? My war declaration had already stopped the production of the space ship.. he had SDI, Hatshepsut didn't. So I figured three nukes would hamper their war effort more than perhaps one or even zero successful nukes on his city.

Comment

But why? My war declaration had already stopped the production of the space ship.
                  More fun? Maximum overkill? Things like that.

So I figured three nukes would hamper their war effort more than perhaps one or even zero successful nukes on his city.
                  But all you had to do was defend against Egypt, right? I think even a nuke doing less damage would be better used against Persia. Remember that this is CIV, so the build that only needed 2 turns to finish (the game for you) stayed queued somewhere down the line...
                  Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

But all you had to do was defend against Egypt, right? I think even a nuke doing less damage would be better used against Persia. Remember that this is CIV, so the build that only needed 2 turns to finish (the game for you) stayed queued somewhere down the line...
                    Yeah, that's true.. I think it boils down to the fact that I hate wasting nukes

Comment

Working...
                    X