"This program has made an error and has to close"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "This program has made an error and has to close"

When I load up Civ 4 and I get past the loading screen, all I see is a black screen and I get the standard Windows XP "there is an error and this program has to close". There is an option of closing or debugging.

Why do I get this and what is the solution? I did see this thread before but there were no replies to the thread.

System specs:

2600+ AMD Athlon @ 2.08GHZ
    512MB DDRAM
    120GB HD
    Large pagefile (over 1GB)
    Geforce FX5200 128MB/128BIT
    Generally well managed comp.

System changes:

Installed 1.09 patch (didn't play the game beforehand or as soon as I installed it)
    Harkonnen patch
    Changed the ini to what someone else and Harkonnen recommended for better performance (frameclamprate = 30, etc)
    I play with all services such as firewall, AV, disabled, for better performance.
    Up-to-date vid card driver, will update my soundcard driver soon.

If you need any logs or anything, I am sure I can find this.

I get exact same erro-massage when i try to start the game...

Can anyone please reply if the have any solution to this problem!

Thanks!

Comment

Well I fixed the problem.

What I was told to do was to disable all non-MS startup programs/services (like your AV and all of that stuff). Go to run > msconfig.

Then the PC will want to reboot so do so for the changes to be made, and you will be in selective startup mode.

Run the game.

To get back to normal startup mode (ie all your normal startup apps like AV, firewall, MSN etc are loaded), go back to msconfig and select "normal startup mode".

Comment

Working...
      X