Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trouble winning: maybe playing too fast ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble winning: maybe playing too fast ?

Hi,

I've read a lot of posts on this board (for hours in fact ) where gamers are looking for help because they can't seem to manage even Monarch level.

Now what strikes me as odd is that at least some of you seem to have played up to 100 of games (and obviously have a lot more knowledge about the strength and weakness of single units and techs and ... than I). Now I wouldnt have time to play even 1/10 as many games .. since I bought Civ4 I have played out maybe 4 games.
    My point is that maybe you guys are playing A LOT faster than I do ? I mean I often think for minutes (literally !) before deciding where do built a city. In the beginning of the game I automate nothing and even try to figure out the best route for my first worker(s) to reach the tiles to be improved in the least ammount of time!

So maybe you should not be frustrated if you cant reach the high levels if you play very fast ! If we were playing chess and I had 2 hours thinking time and you had 3 minutes, I would beat you even if in fact you are the better chess player ....

Yeah, I think you have a point. I get a bit impatient sometimes. Often, I'll move the units I am interested in, take care of pop ups when cities need a new production order and then hit end turn. Later, I realize I missed a Great Leader or a settler sitting idle in a city.

Civ 4 is like chess. You really should take your time each turn, pondering all the possibilities and thinking what's the best move.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Ive played lots of games because well... **looks over shoulder**... I play at work.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Ive played lots of games because well... **looks over shoulder**... I play at work.

I have to get a job like that!

I agree with you, though. Even when I play on normal, my games tend to run long, because I like to adjust/check my cities and units often. Hurrying through seems to me to be a easy way to miss out on the little details that can help put you over the top.
        Power corrupts...And absolute power is actually pretty neat!

Comment

Hurrying causes me to miss the big things. I get too wrapped up in fiddling with my workers and build orders and shuffling around my troops that I lose sight of the big picture.

Every once in a while I have to stop and look at the foreign advisor and information screens to reevaluate my big plans. Which civ is the most advanced and how far ahead is he? Which civs are military threats to me and how could I defend a surprise attack? Are there any powerful blocs of civs forming? What's my next goal, and am I doing everything I can to reach it? What could go wrong?

I play better when I spend time on questions like this. Even peaceful victories on normal speed and standard maps take me about 15 hours.

Comment

Working...
          X