How do you fight inflation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you fight inflation?

I was just looking through my finance screen and I just noticed that I have a 53% inflation rate. Is there anything I can do to change this as obviously its taking a great chunck out of my income, a specific building maybe?

Thanx
    As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit
    atrocities.
    - Voltaire

Nope. You just gotta live with it.

Comment

That's not the answer I was hoping for.

If you build courthouses, does this affect your inflation rate at all, or affect the underlying dollars that are being effected?

Comment

I wasn't hoping for that answer either, but, through experiementation I've noticed that there is no apparent way to fight it. I think we need a new civic/building in order to fight inflation in a way that makes sense, seeing as Courts don't have much to do with monetary policy. I'm going to move this over to the mods section to see what they come up with. Maybe a Fed board or a Keynesian economics civic? I'll keep you posted on this thread as to what they come up with.
        As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit
        atrocities.
        - Voltaire

Comment

I thought that inflation varied with how much cash you had (so that spending your money and not keeping a treasury was the way to get rid of or at least limit the effects of inflation). Could be wrong.

Comment

Nope, amount of inflation is tied to how far through the game you are, and it (the base amount) is the same for each civ.

From what I can tell, that is. I would also expect there to be other factors affecting inflation depending on the difficulty level, but I am not certain on that part.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Interesting. I'd expect Civic Choices, especially those that are relavent to the economy to have some effect on inflation.

Then again maybe it IS just a time based thing. A game element that tries to balance the usefulness of money throughout the game. Basically, I've used money for only 3 purposes -- unit upgrade, rush build, and temporary buffer against negative cash flow due to conquest.

Perhaps it was easier to use "inflation" to create game balance than to adjust upgrade costs, hammer costs, and city maint/location costs throughout time?

Comment

Hehe.
                New national wonder, "The Fed" (central bank if you prefer).
                Must run free market in order for it to work.

Comment

Inflation is only in the game as a stop-gap method to keep your money down late game. Instead of finding ways to make you spend your money, the designers figured they would just let the game take it away. Stupid IMO.
                  ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Inflation is just a multiplier of your "expense", i.e. city maintenance, civic upkeep, unit cost, etc. If you can lower those sections, for example, having a small empire, running low or no unkeep civics, and a small military, the absolute amount of inflation will be neglectable.

Comment

hmm...

I pretty much play exclusively LAN games with my friends, and I've noticed that my inflation is ALWAYS way above thiers (the numerical value in the F2 screen).

So I guess what I'm saying is that there has to be some factor at work that determines how much inflation there is. It might be as simple as having fewer cities, or making sure you aren't generating over a certain amount of gpt. I'm sure one of you math majors will crack some line of code and make a spreadsheet. So get cracking!
                      Listen to my radio show. Saturdays 6-7pm Pacific time. www.titanradio.org

Comment

Originally posted by greenday_234
                        I think we need a new civic/building in order to fight inflation in a way that makes sense, seeing as Courts don't have much to do with monetary policy. .
                        What about the rule of law and freedom to contract? You vastly underestimate the court's role in commerce.

Comment

You've digged deep acamus.

Comment

The rate of Inflation rises steadily as the game progresses. In Civ, however, it is a percentage of your total expenses and not a devaluation of your currency.

If you want to keep your inflation dollar costs low, keep your dollar costs low for all other expenses since inflation is just a percentage of the rest.

Run State Property to keep your city costs low. Build Courthouses. Run relatively low cost civics. Keep a large army, but not so large that you can't support it.

Comment

Can anyone dig up the source code which deals with inflation?
                              I would realy apreciate that, sice I like to understan the "guts" of the games I play.
                              I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Working...
                              X