No announcement yet.

Are swordsmen useless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then you build the spaceship and win. Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Why is that a problem? So the Axeman is a good, well-rounded unit. Then what?
      Then you have a unit that breaks the whole 'rock-paper-scissors' approach that they seem to have gone for. The basic idea seems to have been each unit having a decent counter-unit. The only counter unit to the Axeman is the Axeman. And that isn't even really a 'counter unit' per se, as it just gets equivalent bonuses.

And since there is no counter to the Axeman, the original posters contention that the swordsman is (relatively) useless seems to be well founded.

Bh

Comment

grenadiers are 50% against specifically riflemen.. If horse archers are supposed to be the axmen killers, just give them 20% against specifically axemen. No need to make it 20% against all melee.
        ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
          The counter to the axeman is the chariot, or better yet, the Horsearcher...Personally, I upgrade the chariots with flanking and use them as artillery
          But if you're building an axeman stack, it isn't too hard to put in a spearman or two into the mix. Given also that you can route your advance on high defensive terrain the only true counter is equal force.

This idea of rock/scissors/stone is problematic before the catapult arrives as stacking means your defensive will be on the best possible terms for you. Once catapults come - to the stack of doom.

Are swordsmen useless? If the defender has plenty o'axemen then yep. But, there is no other ancient unit I'd be putting on a galley to go a-raiding in mp.

Comment

how about bumping swordsmen up 1 in strength?

Comment

Then there goes part of the Praetorian advantage.
              "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
              "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
              Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

It's too bad there isn't such a thing as Siege before catapults
                Let Workers act as Bombardment (tunneling) and make a "Slingshot" unit (2 str, hunting) that does collateral damage

Comment

or you could just give archers a bombard ability (aka hail of arrows)

Comment

Working...
                  X