Are maps random?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are maps random?

I just had the exact same starting position for the third time. I'm not really complaining, since that particular start has 5 cows, stone, iron and wheat in my city's fat cross, but still, it seems to kind of defeat the purpose of 'random'...

Every time the same map settings (doh) and also the same difficulty. Different civs though, and different rivals, though in the same locations.

And yes, I have the latest patch.

I'm not sure about this, but if you want to ensure randomness then try using the Atlas project:

It is very good at what it does.
    "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
    Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

I've gotten the same map twice before.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I've gotten the same map 3 times before.
        Continents / Medium sea / Temperate, Bismarck vs. Mao with a little annoying one tile lake positioned so you can't quite build a canal through the middle of the continent

Comment

Strange that you are receiving the same maps and using 1.09. I've heard there was a bug with 1.00 that prevented true randomization.

My understanding is the game should produce a unique map every time one is created, and I believe a different starting position goes along with that.
          One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
          "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

They didn't actually say that they were using 1.09 when the got the duplicates... Doesn't mean they weren't of course.

Comment

There's a random map seed in the .ini file that you could change if the random number generator keeps spouting the same thing. You'd have to change it from 0 to something different every time, though.
              Clash of Civilization team member
              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if Civ has a static seed instead of seeding itself with system time.

Comment

And there I go again. The same map.

Settings: Great Plains, small map size, monarch difficulty.

I've gotten this map with different civs, and both in normal and in OCC games. But each time with the same difficulty.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                    It wouldn't surprise me if Civ has a static seed instead of seeding itself with system time.
                    It's been that way since Civ3, to prevent the exploit of saving before going to battle (or popping a goodie hut) and then reloading if you lose or get a bad result. It is far too tempting to reload after a losing battle if you know it might end up differently.

Civ3 had an option you could enable where you could have it use a different seed each time if you wanted to be able to exploit the RNG.

Comment

I understand using a static seed. That's pretty logical.

But why not generate the map using a random seed and then (using this random seed) pick a static seed to use during the actual game.

Shouldn't be too hard to program.

Comment

Mapseed = Rand(1000);
                        MakeMap(*Gameseed)
                        Indeed it isn't hard to have 2 different random number generation methods.

Comment

there is most DEFINATLY a set number of maps, I have had repeats of maps on more than one occasion. This is however on multiplayer, and i did host the games, and they might have been the same "play sesion" so its possible i guess that it just saved the randomness of the map.... hmmm....

wandering away now.
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

The config file includes this option, at least for 1.09:

"Random seed for map generation, or '0' for default
                            MapRandSeed = 0"

Comment

Yeah, there's like, what, 65535 maps? Seeds are still deterministic and therefore are not random technically.
                              "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                              "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                              Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X