before I spend $40 and a few hours...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• before I spend $40 and a few hours...

I'd like to play Civ IV in a very specific way that wasn't possible in Civ III. My main criteria are:
    1) to start on a world map,
    2) having chosen the other civs with
    3) each starting in their historical location.
    The reason is to set it up so that all have at least a little time on their own. I also don't like seeing cultures in places that don't fit history, such as the Greeks in Japan.

My question is whether or not this is possible in Civ IV. There were other aspects of Civ III that were annoying (mainly changing features that didn't need improving), but the specifics don't come to mind.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Explanation of name: I was a very frequent participant here under the name n.c. until around 4 years ago. Unfortunately I became addicted to the off-topic threads in a way that was interfering with daily life. The only solution was to quit cold turkey. Hopefully that won't happen again.

Believe it or not I have very much missed interacting with many of the posters here. There are a lot of quality people on this site. Overall things have been going very well for me. Feel free to send a PM if you want to catch up.

It's possible. It was even possible in Civ3, though not out of the box.

Comment

You can play on a world map with civs in correct locations, but cannot choose the other civs.
      2 out of 3?

Comment

Well, you could also edit the game to put them in. I don't know if he's asking if there's a premade scenario already, or if such a scenario is even possible.

Comment

Either a game edit or scenario would be fine. The only problem with the first could be that I have 0 programming ability. (Apparently you can get into the guts of this game, which is great for some people.) My recollection of the latter is that they aren't a fully functional game but that may be wrong.

Comment

Re: before I spend $40 and a few hours...

Originally posted by I was "n.c."
            Explanation of name: I was a very frequent participant here under the name n.c. until around 4 years ago. Unfortunately I became addicted to the off-topic threads in a way that was interfering with daily life. The only solution was to quit cold turkey. Hopefully that won't happen again.
            You are actually nc? Wow, another old timer has returned.

I think one of the mods can reactivate your old account if you send him a private message.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by I was "n.c."
              Either a game edit or scenario would be fine. The only problem with the first could be that I have 0 programming ability. (Apparently you can get into the guts of this game, which is great for some people.) My recollection of the latter is that they aren't a fully functional game but that may be wrong.
              There's also a really easy to use World Builder for the non-programmers which lets you just put units and such. Just bring up the main menu and click "World Builder" or hit ctrl-W to bring it up.

Comment

But to make a balanced full world map with civs in the World Builder would probably take more than "a few hours". Especially as it would have to be quite a big map to keep accurate proportions and also ensure the civs "all have at least a little time on their own". But I'm sure someone's already made a world map of some description.

EDIT: Can't find a world map at the moment but if you want an exceptionally good europe map/mod with a good map, new civics, new religions, some new civs, new specia- well, you get the idea its basically Europe as accurately as possible, then go to:
                http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=144971
                or for the mediterranean (also good):
                http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=144716
                Last edited by Axxaer; December 19, 2005, 08:13.
                "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

You're a man after my own heart...I was "n.c.".

I was dismayed when Civ 3 didn't come with these options. It was a standard feature for both Civ and its sequel, so I was quite annoyed.

That being said, I've been thoroughly enjoying the game on random maps thus far. However, it is more fun exploring a world similar to our own. Predictable blobs of land cluttered with a few civs each eventually gets tedious.

There seems to be a map generator that creates worlds with similar continental structures as our own. It even places the various civs in the old world, leaving a new world to explore and colonise later. Brilliant option I think!
                  Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

*waves to N.C.*

Wow! Now there's a name I've not seen in quite awhile! Welcome back!

You gotta get this game N.C., you won't regret it!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxaer
                      But to make a balanced full world map with civs in the World Builder would probably take more than "a few hours". Especially as it would have to be quite a big map to keep accurate proportions and also ensure the civs "all have at least a little time on their own". But I'm sure someone's already made a world map of some description.
                      Yes. In fact, the world map is included in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
                        You're a man after my own heart...I was "n.c.".

I was dismayed when Civ 3 didn't come with these options. It was a standard feature for both Civ and its sequel, so I was quite annoyed.

That being said, I've been thoroughly enjoying the game on random maps thus far. However, it is more fun exploring a world similar to our own. Predictable blobs of land cluttered with a few civs each eventually gets tedious.

There seems to be a map generator that creates worlds with similar continental structures as our own. It even places the various civs in the old world, leaving a new world to explore and colonise later. Brilliant option I think!
                        You're talking about Terra maps. It generates an "Old World" where all the civs start, which is usually shaped roughly similar to our own, and a "New World" which is left empty, but always has a monopoly on some resources (randomly determined). It's also got plenty of good land, so the first people to colonize the New World have a big advantage. However, because it's left empty for so long the barbarians are usually pretty well established in the New World, with plenty of cities and units, making settlement more difficult.

Comment

I now remember another odd little "requirement": that resources are in the right place. A far less important one is that the civs are not recent, that they existed by or before the 1500s.

While these are highly specific, I don't see why the designers would leave out the possibility of coming close to re-creating history. Having Sioux, Inca, Zulu, Mali, English, Persians, Russians, Chinese and Indians (or some other similar combo) would be a lot of fun.

Maybe one of the ideas mentioned so far will work, and regardless I very much appreciate the thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                          X