First time playing a CIV game and need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time playing a CIV game and need some help

Never really played any of the CIVS til got CIV 4. I can't seem to make it far in the game without quiting and starting over. If I go to war with people I am always pounded. I guess I am not understanding what route to go with what civ I choose in the beginning. Is reading the manual key to having fun and understanding this game? Last night i played 2 hours as the english, and declared war on a neighbor so I could get some land (didnt have much space to expand) and I got pounded with every troop I threw at him.

Any tips would greatly be appreciated. Maybe I am not buidling or advancing in a direction I need to be .

Well these forums will have tons of tips in them, you just have to dig around a little. Try looking for Vel's strategy threads, they are always very helpful.

In terms of warfare I would suggest always using different types of units in your stacks, some to defend (archers), some to attack cities (swordsman), some specialized units like Axemen (for fighting other melee units like swordsman) and ALWAYS bring catapults or other more advanced types of bombardment. The catapults are always underestimated to newcomers, but they greatly increase your chances of success because they bombard the city defenses away. Bring a lot of catapults to have the best effects.

Good luck!
    Jerh9e1k5

Comment

Jerh9e1k5 has some good suggestions. I agree that you should check out Vel's strategy thread to get better aclimated to some of the opening game strategies. Another thing that you might want to consider making sure you pay attention to battle odds. If you are seeing 3 units in an enemy city and you've brought 3 units to conquer it, you don't have a pray if your odds are 6.0 vs 8.0. All your units are going to die, even though you damage the enemy's units. If you are facing these losing odds, then you have to think quantity of units.

I usually have a rule of 2 for 1 units when I don't have the upperhand in battle odds. Essentially, 2 of my units... 1 to damage the enemy unit and be sacrificed... and then 1 to finish the job to defeat the defenders.

You should also hit F9 and see what your military strength is relative to the enemy BEFORE declaring war. They might look like a two bit civ on the map, but they might have the world's greatest army. Make sure that you know the enemy before you try to attack it.
      "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

Start with going through the tutorial. I assume you have done that.

Then play a few games on the Settlers level to get a hang of the game - what the techs, wonders and buildings do, for example. Try not to go to war yet. Try to win in several different ways.

Once you become familar of the game you can start thinking about war. It s a complicated subject with factors such as combined arms tactics, various bonuses, experience, etc. Tackle other things first. I reckon if you find a barbarian city, you can test attacking it.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
        X