An ingrateful post and question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An ingrateful post and question

Do you guys realize how intimidating it is to try to read through the strategy thread's 500 posts to find the issue you're looking for?

Sorry, even trying to search, I can't find what I'm looking for.

My question is about making money work in the early to mid game (pre-Code of Laws). THAT is where my game is breaking down on Prince levels (whatever one is under Monarch). Not always - if I get a good wonder, or if I fight a good war, I can keep my money issues going decently until I get Code of Laws/Currency.

But if I'm forced into peaceful play (which I like), I struggle, then my research struggles, then I fall far behind. I can't find the right balance of growth/expansion for cities (building graneries, libraries, aqueducts costs money) to keep funding all my stuff.

Thanks for all the great information here. I do apologize for my little first paragraph quip - it's a bit of a nitpick. I'd like to see more threads broken down like how the Strategy 2 thread is about military mostly.

Make code of laws a higher priority.

Also make Writing a very high priority, pick a city with good food (usually Capital) and create a library and 2 scientists.

Use the Great Scientist to create an Acadamy, in either the capital (good commerce) or the Scientist city (if the capital has poor research potential). In most cases the best bet is to create both the scientists and the acadamy in the capital.

The idea is between the two scientists and the acadamy you'll be able to keep plugging away at research regardless of how low your research allocation falls... you can also generate a 2nd Great Scientist and add him to the acadamy city, this will greatly boost research. For Philosophical leaders this is a sure-fire way to stay in the tech race.
    Last edited by Blake; December 18, 2005, 09:22.

Comment

Re: An ingrateful post and question

Originally posted by heliodorus04
      My question is about making money work in the early to mid game (pre-Code of Laws). THAT is where my game is breaking down on Prince levels (whatever one is under Monarch). Not always - if I get a good wonder, or if I fight a good war, I can keep my money issues going decently until I get Code of Laws/Currency.

But if I'm forced into peaceful play (which I like), I struggle, then my research struggles, then I fall far behind. I can't find the right balance of growth/expansion for cities (building graneries, libraries, aqueducts costs money) to keep funding all my stuff.
      I'm not sure if this will help you particularly, but lots of cottages & lighthouses + trade routes if coastal help quite a bit. Being the first to found a religion (I suggest hinduism or possibly judism, as the AI seems to beeline for buddhism)), spreading it as much as possible & getting that religion's building would do something too (if you get judism switch to Organised Religion ASAP).. If you manage to build Pyramids that early, Representation is a must
      Dom 8-)

Comment

Just don't found too many cities. Each new city costs you more in maintenance. Having four cities by Code of Laws doesn't mean the game is lost, but that your economy feels good.

Comment

Buildings DO NOT cost money to maintain in this game, Multiple cities cost money to maintain. the more there are, the bigger they are, the farther away they get effects cost. 3 or 4 cities usually is plenty to outresearch the ai for a while, as long as they are well made.

Now with 20+ cities early on (yes ive done it) your tech slider may be at 60% cash 40% tech but you can still make more beakers than those 4 alone if none of those cities are undeveloped money wasters.

and for fast cash... take someones capital for 300+ gold...
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Hey, play the game under OCC conditions, and you can usually stay ahead of the AI in the early game really easily.

But the main thing that I have found helps is to make one of you first few cities a commerce city. Make sure it can produce a few shields and food to grow, as it will have to create the nessecary infrastructure, ie libraries and markets. Everything else can be cottage'd (or windmills, if you need extra food and have a few too many hills, for example).
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
            X