Razing Cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razing Cities

The amount of money you get from capturing a city is pathetic. You can make more money pillaging a few tiles than razing a city ever will give you. To me that diminishes gameplay. Shouldn't cities be the places where the money is at?

By conquering a city, you should be given its storehouses, like you are now. However, the game should give you more gold if you decide to raze it.

Think of how many times a conquerer took over a city, only to dismantle it and take objects and so on from it to use elsewhere.

Hence, I believe that upon razing a city, you should be given gold that somehow factors in the era as well. Razing a city in midieval era might yield you 750-1000, but raizing a city in the modern era should net you around 3000-4000.

The problem is that there is no real advantage to razing cities, except preventing high maintenance and ending up rebuilding a city you wrecked just moments ago.
    Killing is fun in pixels, isn't it?

You also get gold from CAPTURING a city without razing it, you know. Emperors who did that tended to last longer than the ones who went around destroying everything.
    Esquire

Comment

As the English learned and the Spanish did not, 'tis always better to capture and build up than simply cart away the previous metals. You only raze a city when you have no intention of governing it but wish to deny its revenue to others. You never do it beause it's profitable.

Comment

Or if you're playing as Genghis Khan.

Burn, baby, burn!
        "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
        "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
        "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by TomVeil
          You also get gold from CAPTURING a city without razing it, you know. Emperors who did that tended to last longer than the ones who went around destroying everything.
          I acknowledge that. However, the amount you get is so paltry that it really undervalues a city. Like I said, you get more from pillaging than from capturing.

Pillaging one single town tile often gives you more gold than one highly populated city. Is that really keeping things in perspective?
          Killing is fun in pixels, isn't it?

Comment

No, not really. It would make sense to get more depending on what is in the city - surely you could get some pretty valuable stuff out of wonders.
            "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
            Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Working...
            X