Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think the game plays too fast on 'normal' speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think the game plays too fast on 'normal' speed?

I would say it does. You barely have time to use a unit like the Musketman before Riflemen or even Infantry come around. By the time you have moved the unit to the other end of a standard size map it is long since obsolete.

Yes, I am well aware of the 'epic' game speed but I prefer playing games with default settings.
    Far too fast
    46.85%
    Just a little too fast, maybe
    32.87%
    Just about right
    13.29%
    A little too slow
    3.50%
    Far too slow
    0.70%
    Banana
    2.80%

Only a bit. Just try playing epic many people prefer it for a slower game.
    "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
    Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

I don't play any other speed, so I have no comment.

Comment

I'd rather have a slower start game and a faster end game.
        Clash of Civilization team member
        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I like the start game and the late game (the late game rocks, actually).

It's everything in between the ancient and modern era which I find too fast.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Re: Do you think the game plays too fast on 'normal' speed?

Originally posted by Strategist83
            Yes, I am well aware of the 'epic' game speed but I prefer playing games with default settings.
            You're taking the fun away from yourself. The reason why Civ4 has a load of settings and why it has the XML files is for everyone to be able to customize the game to their own preferences.

They made the default speed what it is to better appeal to the part of the audience that thought Civ games are alright, but take too long. Now these people can get shorter games on the default settings.

The Epic mode has always been intended for many of the hardcore fans who prefer longer games, who don't want to play a game in 9 hours, butwant it to take 20 hours. So if you think Normal is too fast, do yourself a favour and play on Epic!
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

My epic games last 6 hours Yet, the game is still very fast. I had to mod the XML files so my enemies don't get ICBMs by 1492
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I voted "Far too fast," which is why I'm now a strictly Epic player
                "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

I think more than the overall speed, people would prefer having enough time in a given era to get the feel of it. The ancient era is about right, but could be even longer. The medieval era to renaissance is sort of a blur on any speed. One can barely risk going for cavalry, before AI tanks and infantry roll off the line. All of this is driven by the frantic tech trading that the AI takes part in, along with the human player. The modern era (V1.09) is about right again, like the ancient era.

My overall preference is epic, though I may play normal more often while practicing my game play. I don't want to disable tech trading, but I've found that if alphabet is not traded, it can lead to a game where a stratification of AI research capabilities occurs which slows the game down to a more enjoyable pace.

Comment

The problem with 'Epic' is that early units are agonizingly slow to build (I seem to recall waiting 17 turns for a warrior once), so you just have large periods of time sitting there pressing return while waiting for things to get going.

I want more to happen in the BCs. The first three thousand years just disappear as quick as a flash.

Comment

I've not once played the game on 'normal' speed, and never will... I even think the 'epic' mode is too fast
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

You sure aren't fast at reading your PM's
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

5 mins after I posted that msg it was time to watch a movie
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Just a little to slow IMO.
                            He who knows others is wise.
                            He who knows himself is enlightened.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I'll second the medieval and renaissance going by too quickly.

I think the big reason, for the Renaissance at least, is that there are so few buildings that are associated with the techs.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will) but eyeballing the tech tree it looks like the only things to build are Observatories, Harbors, Universities...and I think that's it. Jails? maybe -- I never build them.

Never mind that these are anacronistic; the university was a Medieval creation, and while yes, mercantilism increased the affect of harbors, major trading ports (and their harbors) were well established by the high middle ages; the important Renaissance cities were important mostly *because* of their large harbors and trade networks, not the other way around. Observatories however weren't really more than a guy in a tower with a spyglass until the 19th century at the earliest.

So yeah -- give me bourses, public utilities, public parks, military acadamies, opera houses, city council buildings, fisheries and canneries, guild halls, commercial workshops...all the trappings of high Renaissance / early Modern (you know, that time *between* the Venetian League and Steam Power?)
                              For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

Working...
                              X