How to play just one era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to play just one era?

Can anyone tell me how to stop tech advancement? If I want to play a game and have some battles that do not progress to the modern era, like a game with only ancient units or something.

my guess is that you'd have to mod that.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Indeed you must.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

If you don't feel like modding play an epic game, it'll give you much more time to move around which is when of the main problems of early warfare.

Comment

I also kinda miss the option to just play one era.

Comment

check out this utility

EDIT 2007/07/27 Reworked the tool (v1.1) to work with all official Civilization 4 expansions (Warlords, Beyond the Sword) and mods. You should still note that the tool defaults to the original Civilization IV Civ4TechInfos.xml file when launched from the main program folder. Navigate manually...

You can use it to alter the tech costs by era. I.E. leave ancient tech costs alone, double classical tech costs, quadruple industrial tech costs, etc. You can use to to expand the duration of the game to suit your personal tastes.

If you expand the tech costs drastically, though, I recommend you play without time victory condition, or edit the appropriate text file to add a few hundred turns to the game.
            If you're not a rebel at 20 you have no heart. If you're still a rebel at 30 you have no brain.

Comment

I don't see why the game didn't come with the option to play limited eras. (Almost) eveyone has their favourites era/s and will often want to play a game or two limited just to these so that they can have fun expanding and concquering without having to worry for techs.

We can always hope for either an effective mod (maybe exists already?) or its addition to a patch/expansion.
              "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
              Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Sweet, thanks for the info. I play on epic now but would still like longer games.

Comment

btw, you could use that utility to do what you want, sort of... just multiply the tech costs of the era you DON'T want to reach by 10000 or something, and play a custom game starting in the era in which you want to play.

just be sure to save a backup of the original text file that this utility modifies, so you can go back to base costs when you want to.
                  If you're not a rebel at 20 you have no heart. If you're still a rebel at 30 you have no brain.

Comment

When i use that Utility it shows all my folders in the Civ4 directory as empty. When I go to my C: drive and open it up they still show as nothing is inside them. Is there some setting I can turn on to see the files inside the Civ4 folders?

Comment

Assuming you installed to the default directory, the file you need to edit is in C:\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\Technologies

If you want to change the number of turns in a game (for instance, you're playing a scenario and cannot turn off the time victory), go to D:\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\GameInfo, make a backup of the CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml file, open the original with a text editor, and look for this line...

edit: there are brackets around iTurnsPerIncrement instead of parentheses, but if i include the brackets the forum reads it as html and doesn't display them.

(iTurnsPerIncrement) 200 (/iTurnsPerIncrement)

The 200 is how many turns you spend going 1 year at a time at the end of the game, before time victory kicks in. If you change that 200 to 1000, for isntance, you'll add 800 turns/years to the end of the game.
                      Last edited by gilfan; December 17, 2005, 22:13.

Comment

I'm running windows XP, I can find the Sid Meier folder under the Documents and setting /my games but I not able to find it on the C: drive. I have all the folders you listed but when i open them nothing is inside. I can see the guys screen shot that there should be 4 files inside the Technologies folder. Mine is empty. For some reason I can not see the files inside.

Comment

Right-click the shortcut you use to start civ and click properties. the "target" line will tell you where civ is installed

Comment

That brings me to a file with the .exe start up icon and two read me files. I'm sure i'm in the right place with all the folders but they are just empty. For some reason whats inside is hidden.

Comment

Here's a hint: You have to install the game, and have the computer turned on first.

Comment

Working...
                              X