Galleys in oceans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galleys in oceans?

Looking for some help here -- when can galleys enter ocean squares? According to the manual the answer would seem to be "never", however I've seen the AI do it on a couple of occasions...

(Attached screenshot has mouseover information of Bismark's galleys)
    Attached Files
    For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

That doesn't seem to make sense. The water is a lighter color of blue there, so it doesn't seem like it should be an ocean square. I'm thinking that the galley is fine and the tile's description is wrong.

Comment

did BismarK's galley make an immeediate right, heading back to the coast ?

just the AI trying to squeeze in a extra trick or two
      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Any owned/teammate's ship can enter any water that is within your/teammate's cultural boundaries, ocean or coast.
        Friedrich Psitalon
        Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
        Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

I wish we had kamakaze galleys back :\ ones that would sink randomly every 1 in 10 turns on the ocean..
          ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Galleys can enter any square within your cultural borders. Even if they are ocean squares. You can sometimes use that to get to places you can't normally go, in fact.

When you have open borders, your galleys can do the same in your friend's cultural borders.

Comment

No!

I hated that

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
                Any owned/teammate's ship can enter any water that is within your/teammate's cultural boundaries, ocean or coast.
                now THAT"S a heck of a statement. I did not know that.
                While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

It's useful for island hopping, if you gift all your rubbish cities to the nearest friendly creative civ.

Comment

Originally posted by ghen
                    I wish we had kamakaze galleys back :\ ones that would sink randomly every 1 in 10 turns on the ocean..
                    Kamakaze galleys are fun
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

god bless the suicide galley.
                      it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
                        Didn't know that

Originally posted by ghen
                        Now that was fun

Once I managed to get my galley to last 15-20 turns in the ocean
                        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Suicide galleys were just another way for the human to exploit the AI, as the AI could never understand the point of sending the galley into the ocean to find other civs or landmasses.

This way the game has one less exploit, making it more balanced.

to Suicide galleys
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Suicide Galleys? Man, those things were annoying. Less random chance thx!

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                              Suicide galleys were just another way for the human to exploit the AI
                              Who cares? (I don't). First of all, it was fun. Then, it wasn't an instantaneously gained advantage, or one received for free; you had to sacrifice lots of shields to gain something. Sometimes it was the only chance to remain in the game, especially on archipelago maps.

"One doesn't discover new land without losing sight of the shore"

to Suicide galleys
                              "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                              --George Bernard Shaw
                              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                              --Woody Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X