What is the "Balanced" land form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the "Balanced" land form?

The title says it all. I have tried starting games with this option selected, but it is not clear to me what I get for it.

Does anyone have a definitive answer?

It's supposed to make all starts sort of equal to all players. This means everybody get some resources nearby.

Comment

Oh, that's interesting. I had thought it was sort of a compromise between continents and archipelegoes or something!

Thanks

Comment

I think Sirian has said that it provides all military strategic resources to every civ within x tiles of their starting location.

I also asked him if the balanced type meant only pangea. He said yes, so balanced will always generate a pangea.

I'm sure he'll correct me if I am wrong.
        While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Thanks -- my next question was precisely whether the form was constant or not.

I wish it were possible to have something that would be a middling choice between "continents" and "archipelagos." I find the former to be too restricted -- even in a huge world there are rarely more than 3 large-ish land masses -- and the isalnds in an archipelago game are too small. I know this sounds like a "Goldilocks" complaint, but I would like to find something that is "just right" in between these two.

I wonder if this is moddable in any way?

Comment

have you tried "custom continents" and then experiment with map size and number of continents.

That should get you close to something that is between the 2.

for example, a 9 or 10 continent standard map might give you an arch. feel, but with larger "islands"..

or a large map with 3 continents...etc...

or a huge map with however many caontinents you like.

Lately, I like making a map that has 1 more continent than it has civs (5 civs/6 cont.) so that leaves a race/fight for the empty landmass.
            Last edited by vee4473; December 15, 2005, 11:27.
            While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

I would like a Terra map with AI included on the new world continent, not just barbs.

Comment

Originally posted by vee4473
                have you tried "custom continents" and then experiment with map size and number of continents.

That should get you close to something that is between the 2.

for example, a 9 or 10 continent standard map might give you an arch. feel, but with larger "islands"..

or a large map with 3 continents...etc...

or a huge map with however many caontinents you like.

Lately, I like making a map that has 1 more continent than it has civs (5 civs/6 cont.) so that leaves a race/fight for the empty landmass.
                I like this! Thanks for the tip.

Comment

There is also an "Islands" map. I believe this inbetween Continents and Arch and is probably exactly what you are looking for.

I wish you could choose the map type, and have Balanced Resouces be an option check box, so you could play Archipelago with Balanced resouces.

Possibility

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                    I would like a Terra map with AI included on the new world continent, not just barbs.
                    A continent map...?

Comment

Originally posted by Possibility
                      There is also an "Islands" map. I believe this inbetween Continents and Arch and is probably exactly what you are looking for.

I wish you could choose the map type, and have Balanced Resouces be an option check box, so you could play Archipelago with Balanced resouces.

Possibility
                      I thought Islands was weaker than Archipelago, which in turn is weaker than Snaky Continents.

Comment

weaker how?

Comment

Less land mass?
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Barbarians wouldn't be as powerful in the New World if there were civilizations there.
                            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

I'm thinking that balanced wouldn't be effective on an arch. map since the resources are land based.

edit: I did ask Sirian about an option for balanced on any map type and he said he was all for it, but was overrided.

Comment

Working...
                              X