Settler Building Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settler Building Question

I understand that when you are building a settler your population is not growing. However, is a settler actually built with food or hammers? For example, will a city with alot of excess food or a city with alot of excess hammers build alot of settlers faster?

I was dedicating some of my cities to the task of being a "worker/settler factory" and I was doing this in towns that had alot of farms around them. Now, I'm wondering if I'd be better off dedicating a city with alot of hammers to the job, because settlers are actually built with hammers. Which is it?
    Last edited by drsparnum; December 14, 2005, 20:45.

Re: Settler Building Question

Originally posted by drsparnum
    I understand that when you are building a settler your population is growing.
    Stops growing.

However, is a settler actually built with food or hammers? For example, will a city with alot of excess food or a city with alot of excess hammers build alot of settlers faster?
    Both. You can verify by changing the production of your city to see which way is faster.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Thanks, urban ranger. I changed it to "not" growing, which is what I meant.

Do they have a set cost? Like 20 hammers and 20 food? Or is it dynamic? Like you could buy one with 30 hammers and 10 food? Or 40 food?

Comment

Do they have a set cost? Like 20 hammers and 20 food? Or is it dynamic? Like you could buy one with 30 hammers and 10 food? Or 40 food?
        I am not sure. It should be in the docs somewhere.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

100 of either food or hammer, and either can be used.
          1 point of food is equivalent to 1 production.
          I've had cities producing Settlers that had a grand total of 1 production in the queue, and I had my Pop-stagnated Capital producing Settlers entirely out of Hammers.

Comment

Are you sure 1 food euqals 1 hammer? I think I've seen something like "x food = y hammers" when I chech the status by clicking the city bar in the main map.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonWolf
              Are you sure 1 food euqals 1 hammer? I think I've seen something like "x food = y hammers" when I chech the status by clicking the city bar in the main map.
              I think it's the same, I never noticed that I could speed up a settler by changing food to hammers.

Comment

Test it yourself. If you have a Plains Forest and a Grass Forest in your first city's radius, you can work either for the same turns to settler.

Comment

When you build a settler or worker your city just turns your surplus food into hammers. I t hink modifiers like forges even work over them.

It clearly says so in the city screen. The bar that normally shows 5 hammers will then show for example 5 hammers and 3 food.

Comment

You got it Diadem. Figured this out when I got a capital with five floodplains available to it. I decided to play around with my city while making a settler...
                    Power corrupts...And absolute power is actually pretty neat!

Comment

isn't it funny that we still can't answer such an easy question after 2 months of 12 hours-a-day of civ4?
                      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

We can answer the question.
                        Not all of us can, however, and that's why you make a thread on the forum so you can get answers.

Comment

What about deficit food?
                          I think it should make the settler build faster and the city foodbox deplete but I havn't got around to testing it...

Comment

Working...
                          X