AI rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI rules

To be honest, I have no idea how the AI works. I don't have a clue on how it is programmed, but I know that the AI doesn't "think", so there must be a set of rules he follows, some logic behind each action. I was thinking that maybe based on our playing experience we could come up with some basic, common-sense rules, that the AI should follow. I am sure the most of them are known to Soren already and he hasn't applied them because of lack of time, incompatibilities or whatever reason. However, he cannot think of everything so why not make a list for him?

[1]
    IF A declared war on B
    AND B asked C to join the war against A
    AND C accepted
    AND (after several turns) B made peace with A
    THEN A shouldn't ask B to join the war against C

Explanation: Huyana Capac declared war on me and I asked Alexander (friendly to me) to help. After a number of turns (something like 20) I made peace with HC, but he was still fighting with Alexander. So, after another 3 turns HC comes to me (with a relation of -6 or so) and asks to me to join his war against Alexander ?!?

If I wanted to ask HC to declare war on his friend, the option would be red, I wouldn't be able to ask this at all. So the AI
    should behave as if I had this option inactive, not come to me every 3 turns to make such a stupid request.

Come to think of it, maybe the rule should be modified as follows (I changed the notation because it is not exactly the same as the first rule, so it could be confusing):

IF X at war with Y
    AND relation (X,Z) < 0
    AND relation (X,Y) < 0
    AND relation (Y,Z) > 0
    THEN X don't ask Z to join war against Y.
    (feel free to change the numbers; it could be "< -1" or "> 2", for example)
    "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
    --George Bernard Shaw
    A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
    --Woody Allen

That's a good point. It also artifically deflates relations between your country and (in this example) the Incas, because they'll complain that you didn't help them when they needed it or some such nonsense, even though by all rights they shouldn't have asked for your help to begin with.

Comment

Re: AI rules

Originally posted by Tiberius
      Explanation: Huyana Capac declared war on me and I asked Alexander (friendly to me) to help. After a number of turns (something like 20) I made peace with HC, but he was still fighting with Alexander. So, after another 3 turns HC comes to me (with a relation of -6 or so) and asks to me to join his war against Alexander ?!?
      I've had something like this. Maybe they're offering you the chance to backstab your ally.

Comment

I'd take that option and backstab the backstabber first.

Comment

Working...
        X