No announcement yet.

Barbarians of Faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not sure barbs work the same was as other civs.

I think barb cities can build axemen/macemen without having the appropiate resourse nearby. In my present game - earth map, I was the first civ to begin to colinize the Americas. I did not see any iron mines, and only 1 copper mine. I took the city that had the copper mine, yet other cities continued to have axemen. I believe I have searched the whole continent, and I cannot see where there might be another mine for the copper.

I think that barbs have the ability to make a certain unit regardless of whether they have the needed resourse or not. And for the same reason, barbs have no reason to trade amonst themselves. I have also never seen an unhealty barb city.

Perhaps someone (or I when Im at home) can open up the world builder of a world/terra game, and look at the barb cities in the new world.
    Early to rise, Early to bed.
    Makes you healthy and socially dead.

Comment

Could it be that the other barbarian cities had their axemen built before you took the city with the copper mine
      and/or you had axemen appear randomly from the fog of war (after all the barbarians spawened within the fog of war definitely don´t obey any resource restrictions)?

(my observations are that in one game I had 3 barbarian cities connected with roads. After I took the city with the copper mine the other cities didn´t seem to be able to build axemen anymore [they built only normal archers and horse archers after conquest of the first barbarian city, as one of the remaining 2 cities was connected to horses]. But there were still axemen and swordsmen appearing within the fog of war [i.e. they were definitely not built by the cities, as they came from another direction than the cities and I had guards observing the cultural territories of the cities for some time, before I built up the necessary forces to conquer the 2 remaining cities])
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I wonder if spies can go into a barbarian city... I suspect they can.

Comment

barbarian civs work exactly the same as any other civ. With two exceptions.

1) They can spontaniosly spawn units out of thin air.

b) They have "always at war" turned on.

So therefore you can have a barbarian civ found a religion. Unlikely as they start way BEHIND other civs, but it is possible.

If you doubt this, then just play them. Go into the .INI file and set "play barabarian civ" to 1.

Note also that Sid Mier is the barbar leader.
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Originally posted by johnmcd
            You don’t need to trade to spread religion, it’s possible for it just to appear in cities you’ve never heard of belonging to civs you’ve never met.
            The manual says that any city that your holy city comes in contact will has a chance of gaining that religion. It mentions trade routes as one possible way, but doesn't elaborate on other possible ways.
            "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Hauptman
              barbarian civs work exactly the same as any other civ. With two exceptions.

1) They can spontaniosly spawn units out of thin air.

b) They have "always at war" turned on.

So therefore you can have a barbarian civ found a religion. Unlikely as they start way BEHIND other civs, but it is possible.

If you doubt this, then just play them. Go into the .INI file and set "play barabarian civ" to 1.

Note also that Sid Mier is the barbar leader.
              Even though they are playable, do they have a functional economy? If they did, they'd go bankrupt pretty quick with all those units they spawn...
              "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

There's an easy way to check on this. In a Terra game edit a few barbarian cities to be the holy city of some religion, and add the appropriate building to those cities. Then wait and see if it spreads around to other barbarian cities.

-Drachasor
                "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by The keeper
                  No.

You cannot march a missionary into a barb city.
                  Nor into any other civ with which you're at war...

I think that the Barb civ, when not played by a human, has "The Internet" for tech & troops.... ie, if two other civs have axemen, calendar, what-have-you, the barbs get them for free...
                  Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Comment

Originally posted by Mujadaddy
                    I think that the Barb civ, when not played by a human, has "The Internet" for tech & troops.... ie, if two other civs have axemen, calendar, what-have-you, the barbs get them for free...
                    That would seem to make sense. I've played on Terra maps where all of a sudden the barbs have Riflemen. They definitely did not have the infrastructure to be keeping up in the tech race, but some of the more advanced civs were starting to get access to Riflemen.

Comment

Working...
                    X