Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behold! The TRUE Alexander! New Prototype Firaxis Art Unearthed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behold! The TRUE Alexander! New Prototype Firaxis Art Unearthed!

Some of you may remember a while back a thread I created that detailed some of the interesting leaders and civilizations that were left on the cutting room floor that still exist in various text and art files. You can find that thread here:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=139720

One of the more interesting discoveries to come out of that thread, and it wasn't even something that I realized right away, is that the concept art for Augustus looks almost exactly like who we know as Alexander. Many have long complained that the current Alexander looks too Roman, and the discovery of the Augustus concept art seemed to agree with this. Most have theorized that Firaxis, due to whatever time or budget constraints, decided not to use Alexander and Augustus both, and used the finished Augustus artwork instead as our Alexander.

Many of us wonder what Firaxis' original vision for Alexander would have looked like. Well today, you will at least get a much better idea.

There were a few art files for Alexander that were using unknown extensions, and at the time, i wasn't smart enough to figure out how to use them, but now that I am, the Alexander that emerged is quite a bit different than the one we know.

True Alexander is a bit rough around the edges, and clearly wasn't finished. He doesn't have the long, flowing blond hair that he does in the concept artwork, but he is wearing the same outfit. He does show promise on what could have been a very interesting leaderhead if it were finished. He looks younger than Augustus-Alexander, and even in this early stage *feels* more like the historical Alexander.

Most impressive of all is that this Alexander is actually animated and entirely stable! He will blink, nod his head, change his facial expression slightly, and so on. He doesn't have the full range of emotions that the finished leaderheads have, but to date, no mod makers have even been able to create an animated leaderhead whatsoever, which makes any new animated leaderhead completely unique!

I find this to be a very interesting discovery, and I plan to make him available as an actual mod soon. But I have said enough, so without further ado, I present to you dear reader, your TRUE Alexander the Great!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by monkspider; December 13, 2005, 02:21.
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Any more of such surprises up on your sleeves, Monkspider?

Nice find nevertheless.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Nice.

He's a handsome chap! Much better than the cheesy, Australian-looking Alexander we have now!

Comment

This is before he checked into the rehab clinic, of course...

Alexander has entered a treatment centre for exhaustion and addiction to prescription drugs, his publicist announced Monday.
        Sorry the video or page cannot be found. The page may have been removed, had its name changed, or is just temporarily unavailable. Please use search or visit our home page. Thank you.
        Attached Files
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X