Am I missing something? it cant add up - Mounted Bonus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I missing something? it cant add up - Mounted Bonus

I attacked a camel with a grenadier, str 12.

Pressing alt b4 attacking showed me at 14.4
    +20% attack bonus
    +25% mounted bonus

but 14.4 is only 12+20%
    The 25% isnt being added.

So I thought ok camels dont count as mounted.. even sthough it showed the bonus.

Tried attacking a knight.. same thing happened.

I did a search but didnt find anything on it.

It took me a while to figure this one out too. At first I was getting very pissed because nothing added up, and still doesnt really, but here is how it seems to work.

Your strength number is only affected by the +10% attack bonuses. So if you have a base strength of 12 and have 2 +10% attack bonuses, your strenth is now 14.4.

The defenders strength is lowered by any other bonuses you have, so if you have a +25% attack against mounted units, and you are attacking a mounted unit, then the defenders strength is lowered by 25%. The only thing I am not sure of is how much that 25% is, is it 25% of your strength or 25% of the defenders strength?

I hope firaxis fixes this in the next patch.

Possibility

Comment

They often have lower numbers but keep the ratio. Was it against a Knight with two levels of combat upgrades?

What upgrades did the enemy have?

Note this:

If A/B = X, then CA/CB=X. So if the Knight had a +25% bonus, then both +25%'s could be ignored in the calculation.

Edit:
      Hmm, or at least that's what I thought they did. I never calculated things out, the numbers always looked about right, as far as the ratio goes.

-Drachasor
      "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

thx for replies, i got it.

the +25% for mounted units is -25% of their base strength.
        Their bonuses are still added to the base strength not the lowered strength.
        all very confusing!

so I attack a knight with 10, it has +20% bonus.
        with my 25% mounted bonus, that guves it 9.5.
        10+20% = 12
        12 - 2.5 (which is 25% of 10) = 9.5

This defo needs to be shown in the combat analysis, +25% for my guy is usually totally different to -25% for the enemy.

Can hope for it in next patch.

Comment

He makes a good point. Is there a Combat Calculator with examples in the CivOPedia, or are we going to have to write our own "Combat Manual"?

Comment

Working...
          X