The Kremlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kremlin

I've come to really appreciate this wonder. I'm starting to think it's the "universally strongest" of the mid-end game wonders... some other wonders might be more useful in certain situations (ie UN)... but compared to something like 3 Gorges Dam, well, it's much better.

One of the greatest powers of the Kremlin is setting you up for a great industrial wonder-yoink, you can just rushbuy wonder after wonder.

I was also happy to learn that The Kremlin works with pop-rushing, handy as it's possible to get Communism much, much earlier than Democracy. Poprushing courthouses (non-organized) for like 2 pop is just damn handy. Especially in fishing villages.

And when it becomes time to finish off the space ship (which can't be rushed), you can always run State Property and pave your best cities with workshops & watermills. Commie power.

What is the cost of rushbuying anyway?

How much to buy the 3 gorges dam from scratch without modifiers?

Comment

Rushbuying after a turn of production is 3 gold per hammer, with Kremlin it's only 1.5gold. Rushing from turn0 (no shields) costs 1.5x as much.

3gorges is 1750 hammers, it's actually the most expensive in the game (some cost 2000, but have double speed resources).
      Pentagon costs 1250 hammers and I consider it an essential yoink, pretty affordable with Kremlin, I often use a single Great Engineer then rush the remaining hammers.
      Broadway is a wonder I often rushbuy, it only costs 800 hammers (1200 cash). I've figured out a rather powerful strategy with Broadway that synergizes well with the Kremlin, I snatch Broadway then call up all the AI's and make Musicals for cash deals, AI's usually have 7-12 gold/turn on hand to pay, selling to 6 AI's gives a handy extra ~60 gold per turn, broadway will thus pay for itself in about 20 turns. Nice eh?

More communism fun is spies (it's such a great fun tech!), build spies and send them out to whoever you'll have to compete with wonders for, you can thus find when they are building wonders, and assess their capacity to rush etc (great engineers around? a low science%?), if you notice they are building a wonder the old fashioned way, rushbuy it out from under them some turns before it completes (assuming it's a low priority but-useful wonder for you). If you do it to the AI you can sometimes trade their cash-refund away from them too.

The joys of communism.

Comment

How do you get the city info from spies? All I see is a button to pillage a tile and some other one I've never used either ... Nice spy graphics though.

Comment

Move the spy into the city, you can then open the city like you would one of your own and see a lot of info (including current research goal and progress, science allocation etc).

Comment

*smacks self*

Thanks for that, Blake.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Remember you can't rush Spaceship parts.

I find that the Kremlin is especially useful on Monarch+, since it helps you keep pace with the AI.

Comment

There is a poorly chosen formula in the game that makes rushing overpowered on Epic.

That said, even in a Normal game, I agree that the Kremlin is nuts, since I'm a cottage spammer. It also arrives at exactly the right time for my development strategy -- I like to switch to Emancipation + Free Religion in the midgame, deliberately holding off on Universal Suffrage and Free Speech until I can throw State Property into the deal as well (at which point many of my cottages have naturally grown into towns).

Then... build Kremlin + lots of Banks + Wall Street. 0% research, here I come. Rushing a thousand shields or more a turn is just ridiculous.

No, you can't rush spaceship parts, but after turning the world into a smoldering ruin, and then rushing Factories in all relevant cities, plus the Three Gorges Dam and the Space Elevator, you're not in such bad shape when it comes to building the spaceship.

Comment

Okay something else about Kremlin usage.
                  If space victory is disabled, or you don't intend to win with it, DO NOT research Fibre Optics if you have the Kremlin. It doesn't give anything tangible other than The Internet. And frankly, Kremlin is much more valuable.
                  So just ignore Fibre Optics and start on the Future Techs.

Comment

Death to all communists, real world or Civ. I just can't bear killing the people that took many turns for me to get there.

Comment

Working...
                    X