X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• city walls and AI defenses

I was confused on the difference between
    tile defense and city wall defense.

I always thought that siege units reduced the city walls.
    Don't fully understand the tile defense concept yet, nor can I find it anywhere. Could someone explain?
    Last edited by linkhan; December 8, 2005, 01:49.

City defences receive a bonus according to city size and defensive buildings like castles and walls.

I never saw a bonus higher than 100%, so I assume it as the top limit, which, to my experience, occurs in 12 size cities with walls and a castle.

A siege can lower the enemy defences only by decreasing this %, but city walls/castle cannot be destroyed in any possible way.

By bombarding a city you lower the defensive % score for a period, when this period elapses, the score starts increasing slowly turn after turn until it reaches again the maximum.
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

So, Send in your Mixed Arms stack with a Pile o' Siege, knock on the enemy's door for a turn or two, then it's time to get this (raiding) PARTY started! =)

Comment

You can get higher then 100%. I've seen 120% before. I bet you can get higher then that.

Comment

I think that normally the highest is 100% (with walls and castle) but the +25% city defense wonder bumps that up to 125%.

Tile defense like a hill, +25%, cannot be bombarded away. This means that even once fully bombarded, units in the hill city will still have the +25%, along with any other hill bonuses like Archers, Hoplite bonuses and the Guerilla promotions.

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
            City defences receive a bonus according to city size and defensive buildings like castles and walls.
            Not exactly city size, but rather city culture.
            And its either culture, or defensive buildings whichever is higher
            (i.e., if your culture gives you a defensive value of 60% and your walls give you a defensive value of 50%, you will get the 60% defense bonus)

As walls and castles get obsolete with gunpowder it´s therefore a good idea to concentrate on culture for defense (i.e. by building city improvements which generate culture [additional bonus, your cultural borders expand faster ]) as defensive bonuses through culture never get obsolete
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

my mistake
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

[OFFTOPIC]
                Taking about defenses:

I just attacked an enemy who had 128 in power

It was a city on the hill with all buildings/wonders possible. The city had a modern armor for defense, and all possible promotions... against my unpromoted warrior

RIP

As a sidenote to this: The AI got all the way around the world a few turns later (~3950 BC), even though it didn't have any ships...
                I also gave the AI all techs, but only one extra unit (the modern armor), but the next turn she had several of them, even though she only had one city and no money...
                Damn the AI cheats on the hardest difficulty
                [/OFFTOPIC]
                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

State religion in the city also increases a city defense bonus I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                    As a sidenote to this: The AI got all the way around the world a few turns later (~3950 BC), even though it didn't have any ships...
                    You wonder how they circumnavigated the globe but here in your post...

Originally posted by Adagio
                    I also gave the AI all techs
                    ... it shows how. By giving them all techs you gave them satelites which revealed the entire map. You don't need boats to circumnavigate the globe, just a way to reveal the map. Buying world maps from other leaders can work the same way.
                    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far.

It was confusing as I was playing yesterday.

When using grenadiers vs enemy cities, it seemed that "tile defense" meant defense only due to buildings like castles and walls. Since grenadiers are gunpowder units and ignore walls, I was surprised that they still got their butts kicked by inferior units like longbowmen.

I don't see how culture and state religion make your defense stronger but I'll accept it. Is it in Civilopedia? Don't think I've seen this fact anywhere.

From now on just bring cannons and artillery anyways.

Comment

[off topic]

And by the way,
                        how do you get 'promoted' in this Apolyton community?

I'm content being the lowly settler, but
                        how did you guys become kings and emperors?

Comment

It's based on the number of posts you have.
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Since grenadiers are gunpowder units and ignore walls, I was surprised that they still got their butts kicked by inferior units like longbowmen.
                            From memory Grenadiers are 12 strength and bowman 6 but if the bowmen have +25% city defence, +25% from fortification and then say another 40% from culture defence then they're going to be at least equal to you if not stronger.

You need to bombard first to lower the defence bonus. Or then consider using a unit with bonuses against bowmen or some suicide catapult squads to wear them down as these will do collataral (sp?) damage to the defenders.

Comment

Originally posted by linkhan
                              [off topic]

And by the way,
                              how do you get 'promoted' in this Apolyton community?

I'm content being the lowly settler, but
                              how did you guys become kings and emperors?
                              And seeing how much you spam post, you'll be chieftain quick enough.
                              He who knows others is wise.
                              He who knows himself is enlightened.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                              X